The man who planted trees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
I don't know if it's been mentioned before but The man who planted trees by Jean Giono is an excellent book.

It is not about bushcraft techniques but describes the effect that one mans had on the countryside by simply planting trees.

Its only a short book, about 40 pages long , but for me sums up much of what I feel Bushcfraft is about.

Has anybody else read it?. If so, do other people feel the same?. (Possibly one for the Bushcraft UK bookshop?)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Wolfie said:
I don't know if it's been mentioned before but The man who planted trees by Jean Giono is an excellent book.

It is not about bushcraft techniques but describes the effect that one mans had on the countryside by simply planting trees.

Its only a short book, about 40 pages long , but for me sums up much of what I feel Bushcfraft is about.

Has anybody else read it?. If so, do other people feel the same?. (Possibly one for the Bushcraft UK bookshop?)
I have and feel the same way Wolfie :biggthump . Superb book which I buy and give to my friends. I especially like the edition illustrated with great wood carvings by Harry Brockway which you can get from Amazon for less than £5 The Man Who Planted Trees - Jean Giono

This is a simple, short yet inspirational book by this wonderful French author.

One other word. Giono wanted the story to be available free however the publisher with the US rights threatened many sites on the web that posted it. There are however still some places if you want to read it. I still recommend the above version however which is beautifully illustrated and not expensive.

The Man Who Planted Trees - Original article version - PDF eBook as the author wrote it (without intro etc)

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Thanks for the link Moonraker. :biggthump

Saved it to my laptop so that I can get inspiration for when I'm sitting in the office instead of being outdoors.

I love that book!

I was first introduced to it as a National Film Board of Canada short animated film. (Worth trying to track down.) It really inspired my imagination. So much so that I have often done that very thing, planted acorns or walnuts or hazelnuts as I wander around.

I have a hard cover copy of the book with wood engravings by Michael McCurdy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE