The lengths we go to.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chuckle

Nov 29, 2006
grimsby
.....get what we want (or NEED) for bushcraft.

Ive been reading threads and posts on here and at times been in stitches,ok some are joking but it seems there are others like me with the same illness.

People asking neighbours for dryer lint, nicking swmbos face pads, seeing a tin of condoms and thinking hmmm i like that tin lol the list goes on.

I have sent for Altoids just cos my flint n steel has to be in a hinged altoids tin.And am i the only person on the planet with a container fetish?

My question is if something catches your eye and you absolutely have to have it what lengths or indeed how low have you sunk to aquire it.

Jason.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
.....get what we want (or NEED) for bushcraft.

....am i the only person on the planet with a container fetish?

Jason.

Not at all

My name is Ogri and I have a container fetish!

Medicine bottles, powdered milk containers, salt & pepper shakers, hair dye bottles, biscuit tins, recycled leather & canvas pouches, measuring instrument boxes, roll-on deodorant bottles, travel sweet tins, cereal packets, spectacle cases, PVC pipe, second hand tea pots, zip-up lap top bags, tobacco tins, lengths of tyre inner tube, take-away containers, canvas tool rolls, aluminium pipe, toy boxes.......

.... and probably many others have been pressed into service as containers at various points in the past.
Then comes the ideas section of making containers from coconuts, wall nuts and wooden tubes.

Re-reading that list I think I need to seek help!

ATB

Ogri the trog

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
there is only the bcuk forum where u are not going to look like a wally for admitting to a container fetish.

my god there is some funny things discussed in these here threads but well i definatly have a shiny fetixh i.e i have to have the next best piece of shiny kit and it has to be the best of that type of kit

i.e gransfor burks small forest axe

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
I stripped a leather couch in an entry for the material, went to a heritage centre to cadge some rrt, dig in every car boot i can find for anything 'useful', am a member of freecycle for the freebies and passing stuff on, man the list continues
be assured tho, you are not alone in wombling

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Urine sample bottle, designed to keep liquids in, so will keep liquids out... my thinking, great for keeping tinder dry. Chemist thought I was going for lots of tests ;-)
jon

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
It's interesting what you say about containers, as I have found myself looking at the packaging rather than the contents of a product since I got into this game, so you are not alone. It all started out innocently making Hobo stoves, after seeing Wayland's Hobo thread, and it's gone on from there. Now I am sorting out my new Response Pack with lots of container kits for fire, fishing, cordage etc...

I find that if you get an idea for a self contained collection of things, like a fire making set or a a brew kit, then choosing the right container helps you to look round for suitably sized things to put in it (if that makes sense). For example I bought a 'waterproof' 5"x4"1" box off eBay then set about putting as many fire starting bits in it as I could (lighters, ferro rods, steel matches, char-cloth etc..). This is a slightly different approach to the 'Its free & it might come in handy' approach adopted by some. Obviously I still am open to free or cheep things I can find a use for & have seen the inside of skips more than once...

I have recently found that Muji, the Japanese 'lifestyle' shops found in London & other city centres are a really good source for small to medium sized containers that are usually only a pound or two. I picked up a couple of useful ones at lunchtime in Covant Garden today that will hold stuff in my rucksack. Thought I would mention it in case anyone found it useful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE