The layering system

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
As you can see here, the experienced older guy stays on the rock, but the youngsters immediately want to try out the new stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: TLM and Herman30

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Interesting, but as Eds says, its not a lot different to UK climbers or actually hikers standard stuff.

The heavy fleece has often been replaced by a synthetic insulation layer (for climbers, a belay jacket) or a down/synthetic jacket for hikers. Soft shell or hard shell is standard, and a windshirt, light waffled top or micro fleece are all part of the kit.

Its interesting that the US military went to someone with experience with the likes of Patagonia. Archtreyx worked with the US Marines at least a decade ago, and i seem to remember that Kifaru and osprey have worked with the US military as well. Mystery Ranch and other brands have apparently been spotted being used by US Special Forces.

The civilian market might value slightly different things more than the military, but the civilian market is so big and constantly innovating that its the logical place to look.

Apr 8, 2021
New Zealan
What do people think about wool vs man made product? I find wool good as it doesn't seem to get as hot when the weather warms, yet keeps you warm when it's cold.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Wool is good, I have used merino wool t-shirts in the hot summertime for many years. It does´t fell clammy or moist against the skin even when soaked in sweat.

Reactions: arf007

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Wool is very comfortable, pretty heavy and very slow drying if it got really whet.

I think wool and campfire is a great option, but wool without campfire is less good than polyester fleece.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Wool is my preference as a base layer and instead of a fleece. Marino wool is a great base layer, it wicks very well, doesn't smell, and dries reasonably quickly. Wool instead of a fleece is a bit more of a compromise; it's heavier, less windproof (depending on the knit), and takes longer to dry. On the plus side, out of the wind or with a windproof layer on top, it's warmer, looks cooler :), smells nicer and it's not made of plastic (however, the whole subject of 'environmentally friendly clothing' is complicated).

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
While chemically wool is wool (or close enough) physically not even nearly so. Fiber diameter affects a lot of properties and in some cases apparently the surface structure differs a bit. As far as I understand vicuña wool is about the top being thin and long.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Once I bought second hand an originally relatively expensive looking wool sweater in v- collar office stile and did wear it under a usual cheaper coated rain jacket and moved a lot.

I was surprised how fast the sweater got destroyed at the back. Obviously it's necessary to protect knitted wool with a thin cotton or polyester-cotton mix layer against the coating. Perhaps some kind of plastic windshirt works well too.

But I don't have much experience with the mix.
I just used 100% old school clothing or 100% cotton and plastic.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
It really seems that fiber diametre is the key to many properties, there are 2 that go down, loft and wear, all others go up. I have a few micro(fiber) fleece shirts and they are very comfortable and do not have the "plastic" feeling.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE