The king of stoves?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
demographic said:
Damm, I was in Keswick today and meant to nip into George Fishers to get a pump for mine and forgot, its not the end of the world as it's not badt to start but it would be a bit quicker thats all.

IMO the pump is only worthwhile on the 8R, not the SVEA. :)

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
I never owned a optimus 123, but i have seen them in action. I don't think there are very noisy. Have heard much louder onces.
The problem with the stove seems to be the over-pressure valve. I know a guy that was telling me about his stove. You know the little pre-heat plate? That dent in the tank. That dent suddenly just sprung the other way on his stove. He atleast got enough warning to shut the stove down, before he got a BLEVE. He was telling me that story with the same stove, with repaired valve towards me... But i have also heard others with over-pressure problems. Which shouldn't happen with the valve.

I 'm sticking to my trangia stoves at the moment. Also nice brass, just saver.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If a 123 overheats, the valve will blow. A mate of mine used a swedish trangia base as a windshield and the trapped heat was enough to pop the valve. Allow air between any windshield and the stove and you will have no problems. Combine the 123 and a Sigg Tourist Cookset for the perfect combination :)

I have a couple of pumps but find if you double prime the 123 the pump is redundant.

Trangia cannot be beaten for solo trips because it is simple and 100% reliable. As a stove collector I have several dozen stoves to pick from for a solo trip, but the Trangia (27) wins every time

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
rik_uk3 said:
If a 123 overheats, the valve will blow. A mate of mine used a swedish trangia base as a windshield and the trapped heat was enough to pop the valve. Allow air between any windshield and the stove and you will have no problems. Combine the 123 and a Sigg Tourist Cookset for the perfect combination :)

I have a couple of pumps but find if you double prime the 123 the pump is redundant.

Trangia cannot be beaten for solo trips because it is simple and 100% reliable. As a stove collector I have several dozen stoves to pick from for a solo trip, but the Trangia (27) wins every time

thats what i ment, the vent should blow. But doesn't always do that. The spring seams to rust in the valve, making it useless. Broken valve + overheating = BLEVE.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Bogflogger, I've never heard of that happen, its a surprise to me, I'll check with mates on the stove forum :confused:

Its by no means a regular trait of this stove, but when you use them on a regular basis rusting should not happen. I've several 123's, some an easy 30+ years old, never had a cap problem other than replacing a seal or two which have gone hard and loose pressure that way. I'll get back if I find any of the lads on the stove forum have come across this problem

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Agreed, this is not a regular trait of the Svea 123!

As I have already said, I used one regularly for 15 years.

The only way you will get an overpressure explosion, would be through failing to do any maintenence (stick a drop of light oil into the hole on the outside of the ball valve/filler cap regularly) or through storing the stove long term in damp conditions.

It should also be noted, that using a close fitting windscreen or large diameter pans should be avoided, as the trapped heat will increase the chance of the pressure valve releasing and blasting a 2ft jet of pressurised burning petrol at you.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
brassnipplekey wrote:
keep it safe guys ...... standard procedure for pressure testing of vessels is with them filled with water ........
(that bit is right)

and then submerge them in water to contain any sudden release of pressure.

lance

:confused:

Errrrrrrr nope, when ever we tested large pressure vessels (I worked as a weld inspector at a place that made pressure vessels) we filled them with water but there was no way yer going to put a 30 foot long pressure vessel in a tank of water, plus theres no point cos water is effectivly uncompressable, thats why some two stroke pipes are pressure formed with water as its far safer that trying to blow it to shape using air.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE