The 'I've found a bargain' thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Grinder from Lidl.

Picked one up today £35! I've been after a bench grinder for ages. So I might finally get around to finishing some of my projects. Yeah right, are they ever finished? But I don't have to clamp my angle grinder to a workbench anymore!

Attachments

• 1fc1efbe913ee7c5e76015947acd71b25075f475.jpg
    1fc1efbe913ee7c5e76015947acd71b25075f475.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 26

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Grinder from Lidl.

Picked one up today £35! I've been after a bench grinder for ages. So I might finally get around to finishing some of my projects. Yeah right, are they ever finished? But I don't have to clamp my angle grinder to a workbench anymore!
Keep your guarantee in a safe place, I got one of these a few years back. I had used it literally 3 or 4 times in the couple of years I had had it before the motor burnt out, annoyingly it was during lock down, I didn’t have the transport to take it back (Lidl and Aldi are very good with returns) and the 3 year guarantee ran out.
one issue I found with the belt grinder was whatever I put on it kept vibrating or jumping to the point it was difficult or impossible to do any fine work. Someone said it would be because of the join on the belt.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Keep your guarantee in a safe place, I got one of these a few years back. I had used it literally 3 or 4 times in the couple of years I had had it before the motor burnt out, annoyingly it was during lock down, I didn’t have the transport to take it back (Lidl and Aldi are very good with returns) and the 3 year guarantee ran out.
one issue I found with the belt grinder was whatever I put on it kept vibrating or jumping to the point it was difficult or impossible to do any fine work. Someone said it would be because of the join on the belt.
It‘s a problem, the glue join on cheap belts. Better quality belts like Trizac don’t have the bump, and some people also glue a strip of leather to the plattern. There are some ideas here:

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
It‘s a problem, the glue join on cheap belts. Better quality belts like Trizac don’t have the bump, and some people also glue a strip of leather to the plattern. There are some ideas here:

That’s good for future reference. :) I’ve got a Ken Onion with the grinder attachment, supposedly it’s capable of doing blade and handle shaping, not tried it yet but it is great at sharpening. Been through a few systems, Spyderco rods, both the Lansky rod systems, the round ones in a wooden box and the flat ones on a metal rod, they’re gone for touching up but hard work for reprofiling an edge. Then I have a set of the smaller DMT diamond plates for my scandi edges. But none of these are a bargain by any stretch of the imagination, so I’ll leave it there!:aargh:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Reminded me that saw a headlamp on offer at Decathalon.

Also comes with rechargeable battery, and can use 3xaaa in a pinch.

Also two buttons, one to cycle through modes and the other to turn off.
Also nice feature (imo) is it comes on low red first, then 4 white modes, then strobe.

Reactions: Toddy and Foogs

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
Reminded me that saw a headlamp on offer at Decathalon.

Also comes with rechargeable battery, and can use 3xaaa in a pinch.

Also two buttons, one to cycle through modes and the other to turn off.
Also nice feature (imo) is it comes on low red first, then 4 white modes, then strobe.

I was looking at this too - great deal if you can find one.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm watching this thread with interest. I have Christmas presents to buy for menfolks and you lot are a good resource of ideas :)
Thank you :cool:

Reactions: SaraR

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Some 11/11 sales have started.

Flashlights
Sofirn https://www.sofirnlight.com/
Wurkkos https://wurkkos.com/
Lumintop are at it too. The Silver Fox is a tidy little torch, and the Tool is a good price.

@TeeDee, you’ll have fun with that. At first I thought it was a bit of a gimmicky thing, but it’s a really good light. I’ve been using the colours set to a warm yellow/orange as a nightlight recently and it easily runs all night.

Magnetic base isn’t totally secure, but it works. It’s got a lot to do being small diameter in a torch with such a hefty battery.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Lumintop are at it too. The Silver Fox is a tidy little torch, and the Tool is a good price.

@TeeDee, you’ll have fun with that. At first I thought it was a bit of a gimmicky thing, but it’s a really good light. I’ve been using the colours set to a warm yellow/orange as a nightlight recently and it easily runs all night.

Magnetic base isn’t totally secure, but it works. It’s got a lot to do being small diameter in a torch with such a hefty battery.

I think so , I do a bit of photography ( Oh-la-la!! ) and think the colour changing side flood mode will be useful for making some interesting phots.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Have Tool v2 going at good price too for a few days. I have the older v2 bought 3 years ago and still going strong, including the usb chargeable battery.

The NW (Neutral White) whole set is the one to get.

Reactions: Nice65

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE