The 'I've found a bargain' thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Just ordered one of these 3.6m triangular tarps from G0upon for £14 inc postage.

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/triangle-sail-shade-2

Whether it is a bargain depends on what the “canvas” is like when it turns up but for something to provide a bit of cheap shelter by a fire that might be a bit more spark resistant than a DD tarp, I thought it might be worth a punt?

Reactions: KenThis
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Has anyone tried one of these in anger yet? I see lots of posts online stating it's rubbish or unethical yet not getting as far as actually buying one.
I doubt unethically sourced. The place they are made gets through a hell of alot of ducks. Cheaper and easier just to knock em on the head id think

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
Aren’t the ethics about live plucking of the birds aswell? But like you say petro, If it isn’t specifically stated then it won’t be, wherever the practise!

Birch Axe

Apr 28, 2018
The Woods
Just ordered one of these 3.6m triangular tarps from G0upon for £14 inc postage.

Whether it is a bargain depends on what the “canvas” is like when it turns up but for something to provide a bit of cheap shelter by a fire that might be a bit more spark resistant than a DD tarp, I thought it might be worth a punt?

Just brought one myself, for the price I will no doubt find a use for it. Thanks!:)

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK

An update on this - the “canvas” turned out to be woven plastic and it really is a sunshade rather than a waterproof tarp. To be fair, it was sold as a shade and for the price, I wasn’t really expecting 16oz duck cotton.

It has worked as a shade from this year’s searing Welsh sun but now that normal weather service has resumed, it may find itself relegated to the chicken run.

Reactions: Toddy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I can’t find the bargain thread anywhere despite using the search tool. If a mod knows where it is, could you please shift this over?

I found a section today in Tesco tucked in a corner with a load of £1 stuff. Grabbed some micro fibre cloths and some hand sanitiser for the Svea, and noticed a bunch of torches.

Fed up with getting new battery cases from Alpkit only to have the lugs snap again, I looked at the Energisers. There were 3 types. A lowish lumen at a tenner, a 180 lumen at £15, and a 250 lumen dimmable thing with no price tag. It’s the green one if you should be lucky enough to find one lurking in your local store. I chucked it in my basket and got it scanned. £4.99, 3 AAA batteries included.

Listed as unstocked online, there may be a few about still.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Mystery Flask - 400ml capacity
Spotted on the 'clearance' shelf at Wiko's in Llanelli for a £1
Possibly part of a picnic set, anybody else seen them about?
mystery-flask.jpg

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Mystery Flask - 400ml capacity
Spotted on the 'clearance' shelf at Wiko's in Llanelli for a £1
Possibly part of a picnic set, anybody else seen them about?

Looks like a knock-off of the Stanley Adventure Pocket Flask (just like the one I have on my desk full of Southern Comfort)

Reactions: Bishop

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Viewranger GPS app

I've been in touch with viewranger team and have secured a 20% off coupon code for us, BushcraftUK20 which can be used at http://shop.viewranger.com for buying maps, credit or subscriptions etc.
There are many posts on the forum about viewranger, and I know there are many bushcraftUK viewranger users, so I hope this is usefull......
The app has had quite a lot of development recently and new features....

Last edited:

Hbc

Nov 1, 2018
North Wales
Was in home bargains on Sunday. They had some of those 3 way folding shovels for £3.99. it wasn't as solid as a proper NATO one but for light occasional use they felt solid enough if the user was careful of it's limitations. I have a NATO one (car boot sale bargain :)) and it's definitely a handy thing to have sometimes.

Reactions: Dean77

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Couple of eBay alerts to share:
  1. For the discerning bushcrafter there's a large Berghaus rucksack in Pink for £5, downside you have to collect in person from Chesterfield. link
  2. Regatta LandTrekka 35L, looks like mint condition despite age and a steal at £25. link
FYI: The landtrekka 35 features a super comfy trampoline-mesh back support system and it's a fraction of the price compared to a modern equivalent.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fabric Bazaar in Glasgow has huge cops of Barbour Campbell's olive green thread for sale at a fiver each. This is the best of thread and it's the stuff used for webbing, goretex, heavy duty fabrics and the like.
They also have heavyweight brass zips for jackets for two or three pounds each. The ones I bought last week are Barbour zips by YKK and are double ended. Not on the website but in the shop.

No idea about postage, but if you phone them, they'll work it out for you, and advise exactly on stock, etc., that they have to hand. Really helpful staff.

https://www.fabricbazaar.co.uk

M

Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE