The Homestead month by month

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Last year we were asked a lot of "what are you doing at the moment" questions and "when should we prune" type queries.

This year we have decided to do a once a month roundup. Part vlog, part calendar

Here is the January roundup. It covers

Coop maintenance (rain)
Lichen infested greenhouses. (mild weather & rain)
Rotted out posts (relentless rain)
Late pruning (mild weather)
Fertility testing
Planting (hooray!)

Did I mention the rain?

Machiavelli

May 21, 2009
Good Ole' Lancashire
Just a quick note to say how much I enjoyed the video. I didn’t know about your channel, so I’m going to watch a few more this evening.

My family and I are trying to live a more self sufficient lifestyle, so I’m sure there will be plenty of inspiration!

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
How very kind of you to say so, thank you! If you have any questions for me or Fiona, do leave a comment on any of the videos and we would be happy to do our best to answer them

Hugh

Reactions: Machiavelli

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh yes, they generally only go "broody" (sit on eggs ) in Spring & Summer although first rate broodies may raise a second clutch in Autumn (a trait that we breed for).

In a non hybrid world, hens won't lay when they are broody or for 6-8 weeks after hatch as they tend their chicks. They also don't lay when moulting or when there us less than 12 hours of daylight (this last varies by species, some don't care).

Modern hybrid egg layers have broodiness bred out of them (they are incubator hatched), are artificially lit to keep them in lay and are usually replaced as they moult after their first full year of laying

Our Buff Orpingtons are natural broodies and do all our hatching. Whilst they are off lay we still get eggs from the Cream Legbars (the little grey hens, they lay blue eggs) & Marans (the black hens who lay chocolate brown eggs). We keep only those three species and only Buff Orpington cockerels so we only hatch the pinkish beige Orpington eggs (avoiding hybrids).

Reactions: santaman2000

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll Guarantee that February's edition will include replacing greenhouse glass after these storms (sigh)

In the meantime, on the odd nice day, if you haven't pruned your apple trees, now's the the time! Its been so mild that we held on for some colder weather, but buds are breaking now (in fact our hawthorn is in leaf!)

Reactions: Anzia

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
The wear on some key elements (both shoulders, both elbows and right wrist) of my body turned out to be much more severe than I had thought.... or cared to admit.
Resulting in a one year sick leave (am in the final stages of recovery), forced retirement from the job I had on a dairy farm (loved that job and the cows!), accepting the fact that physically demanding jobs are out of the question permanently (at times I could not even hold a knife), resulting in a pretty bad dent in my self esteem, since I cold no longer care for my family, finding an opening in a adult education institution, going back to school since september to fulfill the requirements to attend university, which I hopefully will coming summer, which will mean a 5-year study to eventually become a history and religion teacher in the upper classes of high school (kids 16 years and older plus adults). With an extra in philosophy when possible.
So absolutely zero physical activity since last year februari.... and the homestead shows that.

Reactions: Nomad64

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm really sorry to hear that Ron, but love the idea of you passing on your knowledge to a new generation. That too is part of homesteading and was the main reason for our YouTube channel because for sure health issues are getting us too!

Reactions: RonW

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well February was....dramatic!

Hail, sleet, snow, winds of 60mph+, broken glass, fallen trees, missing chimney caps, rains of frogs....

Well, not the frogs

Reactions: RonW and Nomad64

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi BR, I’m enjoying this series of videos - keep it up! When our greenhouse had a few panels blown out by the first good storm last year, we were fortunate that none of our panels were broken - they are toughened glass. However this year our greenhouse has been fine, as on repairing it last year we decided to invest in an extra box of the wire glass clips. I then double-, and in some cases triple-clipped the panes into the frame. For some aerodynamic reason it does seem that the lower panels used to pop out more often. Weird, but I was glad not to have to use the ladder in an otherwise fully glazed greenhouse.

I have also made a second load of the caramelised onion chutney recipe that you also posted here and on YT. It has become a firm favourite, despite the house smelling like an onion shed for a few days afterwards each time :)

Cheers, Bob

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi BR, I’m enjoying this series of videos - keep it up! When our greenhouse had a few panels blown out by the first good storm last year, we were fortunate that none of our panels were broken - they are toughened glass. However this year our greenhouse has been fine, as on repairing it last year we decided to invest in an extra box of the wire glass clips. I then double-, and in some cases triple-clipped the panes into the frame. For some aerodynamic reason it does seem that the lower panels used to pop out more often. Weird, but I was glad not to have to use the ladder in an otherwise fully glazed greenhouse.

I have also made a second load of the caramelised onion chutney recipe that you also posted here and on YT. It has become a firm favourite, despite the house smelling like an onion shed for a few days afterwards each time :)

Cheers, Bob
Thank you! I've done the same with clips and I've ordered a few acrylic panels to try.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Well February was....dramatic!

Hail, sleet, snow, winds of 60mph+, broken glass, fallen trees, missing chimney caps, rains of frogs....

Well, not the frogs

Oh my...
Your English is understandable even for us non-Brits!
Just subscribed to your channel. I so do love English gardens, cottage gardens or old fashioned farmer's gardens in particular. I am trying to create something similar in terms of lushness and colourfulness here on the patches that are not being used for homesteading. Which often means shade or rocks.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Glad you liked it Ron. This is a funny area. Its reclaimed from the marshes by sea banks. So its great soil (no rock or stone, occasional shells, brilliant river silt ). Being flat though, we do get very strong winds. The first mountains to the East of us are the Urals!

Reactions: RonW

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE