The great Landrover debate

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Another danger sign is underseal ... be careful!

Be prepared to look at an awful lot of rough pigs before you see the right one. Don't be in a rush because that is just like piling your four grand in the garden and setting light to it :shock:

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I think its fair to say that most of what has been said applies to any make of 4x4, a mate of mine has just been through a fair amount of hunting to find a decent fourtrak, there is a lot of overworked junk out there, of all makes.

When you get what you want remember not to scrimp on the maintenance. A grease gun is a good investment!

Happy hunting.

Dave

EdS

Got to agree - keep on top of the maintainance.

Landys will go just about anywhere but they do need looking after, more so than some other makes. However, parts are much cheaper and you can do 90% of the work youself but basic tools (& a big hammer).

If looked after it will last for ever. My mates S11 is 40 years old and is still used evry day.

Bear Stone

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2004
Birmingham UK
Mine's a totally original SWB 1969 series llA rag top in green. Tinkering is definately part of Landying - especially with the series models. A close relationship with ones vehicle seems to be something of the past now. I have a good relationship with 'Rag Top'. Even though she is not well at the moment, I anticipate she will be well for the summer. I wouldn't trade her in for anything else - she's my baby.

Bear

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Quite right Bear Stone ... just another example of how we've become more and more of a throw away society over the years.

How many vehicles rolling off the production line today will be running in 2039? (I know, I know, we'll all have hover cars by then! :-D )

Bear Stone said:
A close relationship with ones vehicle seems to be something of the past now.

Bear Stone

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2004
Birmingham UK
I know this is a bit off topic so I'll keep it short but Adi007 is right. We do live in a throw away society which means the kids today never have or use anything for long enough to begin to appreciate it for what it is - like tools. Take a good knife; we might have watched the old man using it on camping trips as a boy and now our kids watch us in the same way; but with a different mindset. IMO kids today are missing out on something difficult to define in words.

Bear

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
There is often lots of choice of landys on ebay. Before you all shout about bidding without seeing just use it like any other advertising. If the auction has just started you have 10 days to go and look before you bid. There are loads of bargins and the slightly more unusual stuff sometimes doesn't get many bids so they could be open to offers if you've already made contact with the seller. Reserves are often dropped when auctions finish without a sale.

Bill

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
tenbears10 said:
There is often lots of choice of landys on ebay. Before you all shout about bidding without seeing just use it like any other advertising. If the auction has just started you have 10 days to go and look before you bid. There are loads of bargins and the slightly more unusual stuff sometimes doesn't get many bids so they could be open to offers if you've already made contact with the seller. Reserves are often dropped when auctions finish without a sale.

Bill

Good advice Bill... Think I'll pop over and have a peek :-D

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Anyone here fancy a challenge ...

What's the appeal of a Landy? Don't get me wrong, we have one and are truly hooked, it's just that I've never been able to say what it is that I love about them.

It's like a god knife ... you know it's a great knife and you can rationalize some of it but that's just part of it. It goes deeper than that.

Anyone have words to describe it? :-D :lol:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
They're the best in the world at doing what they do, they're no nonsense, unassuming, unpretentious and as British as the queens corgi's.

I'm saving hard for my first. I dont want a loan for one, so it's gonna take a while - but I've wanted one for years, I work hard for my money, I want one and I'm damned well gonna get one.

(that's the speach for the missus - were you impressed? :lol: )

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Martyn said:
They're the best in the world at doing what they do, they're no nonsense, unassuming, unpretentious and as British as the queens corgi's.
I agree!

I'm saving hard for my first. I dont want a loan for one, so it's gonna take a while ...
Again, agreed. I would imagine that loans and Landys are a bad idea ... I think that also, where a Landy is concerned, you need patience and plenty of thining time before you buy. I was amazed just how much there was I'd need to know just to buy one!

(that's the speach for the missus - were you impressed? :lol: )
:biggthump

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
My old series III swb ragtop was great fun...but now it's a minefield.

When I was a kid and mum bought toothpaste thats what ya got !! Now go into tesco's nd check out the toothpaste aisle... Flouride, non flouride, whitening, extra sensitive...Blah blah!! It's the same with landies now too

Series, Defender, Disco, freelander, deisel, petrol, LPG :shock: A man can go mad !!
We're looking to get ours in the next month and I'm as excited as Garry Glitter in 'Toys R Us', but at the same time a little scared that i'm gonna end up with a £4000 chicken coup :yikes:

Bear Stone

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2004
Birmingham UK
Maddave,
What about the guy who does your MOT's for you? If you sort of half know him, offer him a big drink to look it over for you - what have you got to loose? :wink:

Stew,

Oops :oops: I sometimes forget the ladies like to play with mens toys too sometmes - it's a chick thing too :)

Bear

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE