The great Landrover debate

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
OK Landie time is upon us (within a month anyhow). My old one many years ago was a series 3 110 ragtop. Now I'm debating which to get.

1. It's going to be ex army and diesel

but do i go for ragtop or hardtop
90 or 110
series 3, defender, FFR or Lightweight (airportable)

Your thoughts and experiences would be much appreciated :-D

Oh and I have about £4000 to spend max

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Dave,

You'll get more for your money if you go for a 110, 90's are crazy money & often stolen :-(

Try a websearch for Blanchard

Dave

EdS

don't rule out civvie vehicles.

S111 - very easy to work on but slow and rough ride

Coilers - still easy to work on, more power nicer seats better ride. Plus power steering and almost acceptable heating.
You have to take care of the 2.5TD no intercooler so over heating can be a problem - to that bad if well looked after. Naturally aspirated which older army one will be don't suffer this nor to 200TDi s. Having said that Ive got a 2.5TD and overheating hasn't be a problem even doing 600 miles this weekend woth broken water pump and fan (just took it steady and watch the dial).

90 or 110 - depend on what you want.

90s are more convienient around about and less thirsty. Plus they are generally better off road - greater approach and departuree angles. Space in the back is limited if you want to carry people and gear. Only 4' long in the rear tub so sleeping is a problem.

110 - bigger more space for stuff, possible to sleep in them. Thirstier. better for crossing corregated ground (not much of the in UK though). Can be intresting driving around town.

Rag or Hard top - go for hard top it doesn't shrink and you can still take it off. Plus youcan then put a roof rack on.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Some good info coming.. cheers guys

* The only reason I generally rule out civvy vehicles is they are higher priced usually than EX MOD and they have velour seats !! Have you ever heard owt as daft !! Velour seats in a landie... It's allmost as bad as calling a freelander an off road vehicle when they're really a posh van :p

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
"It's allmost as bad as calling a freelander an off road vehicle when they're really a posh van "

I know what you mean, after all, my series 3 is really just a posh wheelbarrow! (But I'm still very fond of it.)

Dave

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
If I was going to get another it would probably be a 200/300tdi 110 hard top.

I currently drive a 3.5V8 110, it's great pulling through the gears and cars get really annoyed when they can't outrun you but it drinks fuel - good job I don't pay for it :lol: :lol:

Does it have to be Defender style ?
There are lots of good deals on older Disco's and even Range Rovers now.

Cheers

Mark

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Buckshot makes a very good point. My everyday car is a Discovery and I really like it. Its my second and I plan to get a third when the time comes, funds permitting. I've heard of them selling for as little as £1500, but only after they've been sold :-(
Compered to defender prices you get a lot of car for the money, but of course you can't bolt bits on and off like on a traditional landy.

Dave

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Thanks Eds, what I meant was things like unbolting the roof etc. Sorry, should have been clearer in my post.

Dave

Useful links though! :-D

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Well, ours is a Stage 1, Series III 109 hard top ... 3.5 litre V8. Plenty of power and a strong axle and gearbox. Drinks a bit but not awfully. Been from Wales to John o'Groates,then to Land's End and back to Wales with it last year in under 2 weeks.

Got most of the extras added ... A bar with spots, steering and diff guards, rear step and so on. Changed the seats for Extreme seats from Exmoor Trim and added two seats in the back for the kids. Also gave it a lick of MOD green paint.

Good, solid machine but it was well looked after before and had a lot spent on it before.

Be careful tho MadDave, there are a lot of rubbish vehicles out there ... and we ended up having to go from North Wales to Folkstone to get one! 90 seem to be going for crazy money now so a LWB might be a better buy.

Don't rush buying, check carefully for welding and problems and if in doubt, don't buy!

If you want any more info, feel free to ask!

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Right guys while your dishing out advice. I have been offered a 110 county - coil sprung with a roofrack. It has a nissan 3.3 diesel half fitted so i get it as a project for £1500.
What pitfalls am i likely to encounter. Is that nissan patrol engine any good ?....
I crashed my van the other week so this is a serious contender. Fortunately I ressurected a £50 MGB, got it through its MOT 2 days later so that is my current transport.
Thanks for any advice ( I know i have asked before) I just don't want to buy a lemon.
Cheers
Rich

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
The main pitfall that you can encounter is that you are being sold an off-road lemon.

Questions to ask (although you might not get an honest answer ... depends on how good you can read people):

"Why is it being sold?"
"Why not finish adding the engine and sell it as a runner?"
"Why change the engine?"
"Where's the old engine?" Looking at this might tell you a little more about the original vehicle.

You can't go far wrong with Nissan engines generally ... I've fired them up first time afert they stood in a scrap yard for months. I guess making sure that you got all the parts is a must otherwise the costs could spiral. Make sure you get an idea of the mileage of the engine. Check the exhaust manifold and see what the output looks like ... quality of the oil in the engine should tell you something too ... check for really rough, dirty oil or creamy. if either, forget it. If it's dry or got new oil, be suspicious.

Depends also on the rest of the 110 ... especially quality of bodywork and chassis.

Beware though - you are buying a vehicle that you can't try on the road. Check the quality of the axles, steering and wheel bearings manually. Give the brakes a look over too.

Basic rules apply - if in doubt - don't!

Hope this helps!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
We got something that was in excellent condition for a LOT less than that ... shop around, steer clear of the dealers (I know what their markup is!) and buy private for someone who want's to get rid ...

Sales are a danger zone unless you knwo what you are looking for, a good mechanic and know the tricks! :-D

maddave said:
So do you think I'll get something semi decent for 4 grand?? :-?

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
If it has to be ex-MOD you're not going to find an SIII in diesel, or at least you'll be very lucky to. 'Navy and the RM had a few - But if there were any in the Army or RAF they must have been in very small numbers.
The only Lightweights you'll find that burn oil are Dutch, so a 90/110 is really your best option. Mind you there shouldn't be any bother with finding one within your budget if you're canny.

Nick in Belfast

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
On the whole, I found that ex-MoD landys were overpriced compared to the civvy market. They are well manitained on the whole but thya can have huge unknowns in their history ...

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
MadDave

Depends how rushed you are to get one. We ended up driving to Gloucestershire from Sussex to buy ours.

You should be able to get a reasonable beast for your £4K, but it will take a lot of looking at duff ones before you find the right one.

Rust will be your enemy, and make sure you give the chassis and rear crossmember a good tapping with a hammer. These will only take so much patching, and you want to make sure that you dont get one that you will have to rebuild. Waxoyl is great to see, but I would be wary if it looks like it has not long been applied.

Front bulkhead is a must for checking - although you can get kits for repairing sections of them.

90's are more expensive, but you pays your money and takes your choice. Try to get one that has not really done the off-road day thing.

Are you looking to do some off-roading?
How many people are you planning to take with you?
Would you consider buying a van version and getting some windows put in (combine this with a trip to the Old Sodbury Sortout) and you could upgrade from van to uncomfortable people carrier for less than £300. (helsp you see properly at junctions too) :oops:

I remember seeing some low mileage 90 200TDi's online, and for less than £4K - but they go pretty quick.

Good luck with the hunting - make sure you keep us informed. Land Rovers are important :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE