The Great Kilt

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
I got no change out of a thousand for kilt and jacket for my son twenty years ago.

Neighbour bought the whole outfit to wear as best man at his cousin's wedding last week. He totalled it up, just over two thousand. His wife's frock, hat, bag and shoes set them back just under five hundred.....he said his wallet wished he could wear silk and stilettos :D
 
I got no change out of a thousand for kilt and jacket for my son twenty years ago.

Neighbour bought the whole outfit to wear as best man at his cousin's wedding last week. He totalled it up, just over two thousand. His wife's frock, hat, bag and shoes set them back just under five hundred.....he said his wallet wished he could wear silk and stilettos :D
Ooh Jeffrey! Suits you sir, especially the stilettos. May i suggest a subtle barbie pink to match your cheeks sir! ;)
 
Anyhow, someone got a Great Kilt they can bring to the Makers moot for me to try?
There isn't such a thing, it is just a length of fabric really. I was expected to wear a kilt at my wedding but could not be bothered waiting and paying for a tailored kilt, nor did I want to rent one for the occasion, so I bought 5m of really good tartan fabric, used a wide leather belt I had, bought a brooch with a stag on it and rocked the Great Kilt at a fraction of what I would have paid for an formal 'outfit'. It also folds much more nicely / compact and has many other uses, but it is essentially just a 5m piece of fabric or thereabouts.
If you just want to see what it would be like on you, get a 5m length of fabric with a slightly stiffer hand to simulate the wool, then put it on per the various youtube tutorials and secure it with a piece of rope as belt and a knot at the top.
 
The fabric was around £300 I think, as I went for a thick pure wool.
The pleats are not permanent, you fold them and then lay down on it and close it over you, it comes completely loose again once you take it off.
There is nothing permanent to do to the fabric, other than fray the end edges to your liking and maybe tussle it a bit, again to your liking.
I would be curious to see it in a tweed!
1000033754.jpg
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE