The Great Burl Hunt

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi Folks, Been meaning to show these pix off for ages but just got wrapped up with other things, you know how it is sometimes.

So while in the UK over Christmas just gone Me, Paul (best mate) and Matthew (my brother) decided we'd have a lads day out together. Initially we couldn't make our minds up what to actually do, when Paul suggested a tromp in the woods. And if we happened upon any fallen trees with hefty burls on then then great, as he'd like some to make his high class woodwork creations with (See his website) http://www.ridgeway-woodcraft.co.uk/

So armed with our various bits and bobs the great Burl hunt got into full swing the day after Boxing day. I brought along my folding buck saw and Hill Bill knife, as well as my hobo stove. Paul brought a big rucksack to carry back his potential haul as well as the cakes and drinks, and Matthew brought along his canvas and leather shoulder bag with some other bits and bobs in it. Not sure what he brought but he looked the part as some Gentleman explorer. He's really into Steampunk and thought he'd go in character. We did chuckle about it and he doesn't take himself too seriously either so it was done with tongue firmly in cheek.

So on with the show:

First tree we found had some lovely lumps and bumps on it but there was no way we'd have any plans on carving that tree up. Vandals we are not. So I set the self timer and we posed. I looked like I've just had an accident in my pants.

Burlhunt01.jpg

Matthew soon found a walking stick and adopted the Gentry about his country estate pose.

Burlhunt02.jpg

While Paul found some interesting fungi and snapped away trying out his camera's macro settings.

Burlhunt03.jpg

Lunch time soon rolled around and the burls must have heard us coming as they were well hid. So we took a rest break. I set up the field canteen on a handy tree. I also found a sawn log which made an ideal base for the hobo stove. No, I didn't cut it, the woods had been harvested for logs recently and there were a lot of short ends kicking about.

Burlhunt04.jpg

Bacon sarnies for din dins. nom nom nom. (insert sound of the master chef whistling contentedly to himself)

Burlhunt05.jpg

Paul, meantime spotted some more fungi, these were really tiny too, barely an inch tall.

Burlhunt06.jpg

I found the hobo stove with the Lynx can burner worked OK, but using a frying pan didn't really work so well as the flame inside the hobo stove was too fierce. So I set aside the hobo brazier and used the pan directly on the lynx stove. The fuel didn't burn away so quickly this way. Matthew was well impressed with the lynx burner. Just as well I had that stump to use as a base as well.

Burlhunt07.jpg

Hmmm lovely! Bacon sarnies and Dr pepper. Food of the gods!

Burlhunt08.jpg

We found a big clearing in the wood and set about again beating the undergrowth for the illusive burls and we finally flushed out a couple of likely candidates from downed trees. Paul got his wish for a decent sized one too, it filled his rucksack. The bow saw I made worked a treat. No I didn't get any pictures of that moment actually sawing. But Paul did get a pic of me taking some suitably atmospheric shots of my lovely Hill Bill knife. See details of that here:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85199&highlight=

Matthew looks on enviously, he did like my knife but as a consolation he did find himself a nicely spiralled walking staff amongst the thicket so he didn't go home empty-handed.

Burlhunt09.jpg

Closing pose. The three intrepid hunters exhausted from a days beating of the undergrowth but with bellies filled with bacon butties and Mr Kiplings best cakes, had a really good time enjoying each others company and getting some fresh air in Kent. Nice simple day out, no pressures, no agenda, just walked the way the paths led us in relaxing company and appreciating the natural beauty that's around us.

Burlhunt10.jpg

Thanks for viewing. Thanks to Paul and Matthew for a really nice day. Overnighter next time I think?

Biker

Last edited:

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one Aaron. I love your brother's waxed jacket and hat, a truely refined look and an air of gentleman about him that's for sure! Good stuff.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
A wander around with no real aim is one of the best agendas, easy to stick to I guess! :)

Now tell me, burls. How do you go about acquiring them. There is a huge burl in some woods I frequent but it is attached to a living tree. I guess it is common practice to wait for the tree to die/fall/be felled?

Birch Polypore, I keep seeing these about and wonder if they are 'Birch Polypore'. In addition to my post about 'me finding out that having a sharp knife really helps with feather sticks' I now know another new place for stropping, in addition to my new belt!

Bushcraft is fun! woo.gif

Last edited:

Biker

Thanks for the comments folks. Yeah it was a great time out just enjoying ourselves.

Nice one Aaron. I love your brother's waxed jacket and hat, a truely refined look and an air of gentleman about him that's for sure! Good stuff.

Chad, that jacket my brother's sporting is actually buffalo hide. The lucky begger was over here in France last July and we went to a vide grenier (boot fair) and he picked it up for €10 (approx £8) fitted him like a glove too and hardly showed any wear at all. He was over the moon about it too, can't says I blame him really it's a lovely jacket. The hat's just a normal bowler hat type hat, He decorated it with a sort of belt hatband with odds and ends fitted to it.

Hunting Burls, Emdiesse. Seeing some great lump growing on the side of a tree and knowing the grain that's under it can be sooooo tempting to hack off somehow and do a runner. Now me I can't condone that sort of action, not to mention giving yourself a lot of work if you don't have a chainsaw. The big one we found that day was on a fallen tree. So what we did was just cut the trunk above and blow the burl and heaved into into Paul's rucksack. It was a beast too so we took turns carying it. Once it's dried out a bit the plan is to split/saw off the waste and try to keep as much of the burl as possible for further seasoning and eventual machining to make it into something prettier. Paul's more than up to that task, if you take a look at his website you'll see what I mean.

The beauty of salvaging a burl from a fallen tree too is that the tree has died naturally and may also have started drying out. I'd rather take something that's already dead than risk killing the tree by taking a burl off a live tree. Sorta goes against my whole "one with nature" ethic.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Wow, that makes it even better! Best £8 he's ever spent I'll bet. I really need to get over to France to hit some of these car boot sales I keep hearing about. Sounds like it would be my kind of thing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE