The gooseberries are ripe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've just counted the jars of homemade jam I already have.... bearing in mind I live alone.
3 raspberry
7 blackberry
2 blackcurrant
2 blueberry
2 lignonberry
5 marmalade
1 crab apple jelly
1 wild woodland mix (wild blueberries raspberry and strawberry ,)
Thing is I don't eat bread as I hate the gluten free stuff so I rarely eat jam. Think I have enough. Last year I started to make fruit chutneys instead. I'm thinking of bottling some though. Then I can enjoy crumble any time of year.
I need more shelves though :) :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've just counted the jars of homemade jam I already have.... bearing in mind I live alone.
3 raspberry
7 blackberry
2 blackcurrant
2 blueberry
2 lignonberry
5 marmalade
1 crab apple jelly
Thing is I don't eat bread as I hate the gluten free stuff so I rarely eat jam. Think I have enough. Last year I started to make fruit chutneys instead. I'm thinking of bottling some though. Then I can enjoy crumble any time of year.
Have you tried mixing jam with cream cheese and using as a dip for crisps (particularly the ruffled ones) or fried tortilla chips?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Cheese and jam. I used to do fried cheddar and strawberry jam sandwiches. But I'd never thought of making a dip. Interesting idea. Not too sure about it but then I was apprehensive of the sandwiches until I tried them.
Yes I bake cakes and use the jam as a filling when I bake for others but my gluten free cakes are usualy a disaster... apart from my marmalade cake. Guess I could ring the changes with other jams.
I still think I've got several years worth of preserves to get through as it is :)
I do prefer savory to sweet... unless it's chocolate!
Home made yoghurt and jam.. now there is a good idea. I've oftentimes sweetened bought plain yoghurt this way. Just gotten back into making yoghurt again.
A soft cheese can be made from that and is delicious with fruit cheese. Not realy a cheese but a much more solid sort of fruit puree.
I do a lot of fruit leather too.

Reactions: santaman2000

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The youghurt with fruit/ preserve you buy is so full of sugar.

The jam we make is a low sugar version, so has to be kept very cool.

Another thing you can make is something very oldfashioned.
Canned fruit. You know, like canned peaches, canned cherries and such.
To eat like dessert.
Mother and previous generations used to do that, I remember fondly the canned apricots. Hated canned strawberries though. Mush.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sounds revolting - sorry!
:) .....?
You’d probably hate pepper jelly as well then (a wonderfully sweet-hot jam made from jalapeños or cayennes) That jam goes especially well with softened cream cheese as a party dip but any jam will work.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A suggestion from me is to consider more savoury options. Chilli jam with cold meat, redcurrant jelly for lamb. My personal favourite is "Lemon chilli marmalade" stunning with a sausage roll. But sloe jelly with venison and so many more are great jams for the coeliac.

3 raspberry
7 blackberry
2 blackcurrant
2 blueberry
2 lignonberry
5 marmalade
1 crab apple jelly

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Woody Girl, you might also try using the jam on GF pancakes? We used to make mock cakes by stacking 4 to 6 pancakes using jam as the icing between the layers and over the top and sides. It should work as well with GF pancakes.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A suggestion from me is to consider more savoury options. Chilli jam with cold meat, redcurrant jelly for lamb. My personal favourite is "Lemon chilli marmalade" stunning with a sausage roll. But sloe jelly with venison and so many more are great jams for the coeliac.
You just reminded me of something I need to try for my celiac daughter; the chili jam with cold meat. I was first introduced to it as an accompaniment for ham (both hot and cold)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You’d probably hate pepper jelly as well then (a wonderfully sweet-hot jam made from jalapeños or cayennes) That jam goes especially well with softened cream cheese as a party dip but any jam will work.
A famous one is made here on island. Very nice with grilled stuff.

Maybe a Gooseberry - chilli pepper jelly can be made?

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A famous one is made here on island. Very nice with grilled stuff.

Maybe a Gooseberry - chilli pepper jelly can be made?
I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t. Barbara made a batch of jalapeño/muscadine jam about 3 years ago.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Mixed jams and jellies are "floor-sweepings" to me. I'm hunting for one taste at a time.
When I want lime marmalade, I don't have any desire to have it kakked up with strwberries and rasp berries.
I make each of those 3. Slicing 1.5 kg limes is worth it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Mixed jams and jellies are "floor-sweepings" to me. I'm hunting for one taste at a time.
When I want lime marmalade, I don't have any desire to have it kakked up with strwberries and rasp berries.
Yeah, it’s a matter of taste. Unless you want Amish F.R.O.G. jam. (Figs-Rasberries-Oranges-Ginger) I’m pretty sure they invented it to use up the last scraps.

That said, some combinations sound better than others (again, a matter of taste)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I think that breakfast is really fun with all sorts of toasty bready things, scones & biscuits included.
Then, a whole row of condiments, beginning with butter. Jams & jellies, one monster bite at a time!
Endless coffee, milk, juices and so on.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Had my first of this years wild strawberrys this morning... bliss! :) I have about 200 plants in my wild strawberry patch so plenty more to come. Next to wild garlic this is my fave wild edible. Yes it's in my garden but wild as you like. Started with two rescue plants a few years ago. Now they are rampant and take up a large area about 2x4 metres. Don't even have to get out of my pj's to collect the freshest wild fruit for my cornflakes.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You just reminded me of something I need to try for my celiac daughter; the chili jam with cold meat. I was first introduced to it as an accompaniment for ham (both hot and cold)
Its a family favourite here. Even my late father liked it and he thought marmalade was foreign food!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmm not sure I quite agree. Some tastes really complement one another. Whisky marmalade, strawberry rhubarb, apple chilli jelly etc.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Interesting, BR. I see lots of those mixed preserves on the store shelves.
The stock is moving , obviously, they are selling well.
However, my tastebuds can't mix the fruit flavors and I'm left wondering: "What was that?"
Each one sets off the memories of harvesting that particular fruit.
We have huge wild areas with raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, choke cherries and Saskatoon berries.
You find your wild "patch" and revist every year.

For me, its either a bulk harvest (10-15kg) or I just sit and eat and daydream.

I made a lot, I've recently run out. The best thing I've made for myself in many decades (!) was the lime marmalade.

Reactions: British Red

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
At wilderness gathering they sell bacon jam.......... never had the guts to try it. It sounds awful though my daughter loved it. I realy can't get my head around savory jams. Though I love savory stuff. Chilli is a BIG no no for me. Just don't seem to be able to handle anything but the mildest of mild chilli and even that is often too much. (Wimp :) )

Reactions: British Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE