The Good life

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Re: Book tips about winter bushcraft

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have read it, and posted this a couple of weeks ago.
For some lightweight reading try The Good Life: Up the Yukon without a paddle, by Dorian Amos ISBN 1903070309.
It's a true story of a painter/ cartoonist from Cornwall who in the late 90's
decides to pack it all in and go and live in the Yukon.
It's a good read as you hear how from a base knowledge of zero he and his wife gradually learn from their mistakes to a point where they are now competent with living in what to them was an alien world.
He is now a ranger in the Yukon Park, lucky so and so.
You have to admire his guts for doing it.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
steve a said:
For some lightweight reading try The Good Life: Up the Yukon without a paddle, by Dorian Amos ISBN 1903070309.
It's a true story ...

What you failed to mention is that, while it is a good story and I was genuinely in awe of what they acheived, the editing and writing are very poor and actually make the book quite difficult to read sometimes. It would have benefited from some rigorous proofreading which I don't think would have led to the story losing its impact.

Having said that, it's a small publishing company who seem to enable books that might not normally see the light of day to be published. As an avid reader, I have to support them, but, as an admirer of the English language, I would very much like them to employ a proofreader.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
I really love this book, read the whole book in a tent when the rain was pooring aoutside and the wind was trying to blow my tent away. Reading the book gave me many laughs and really inspired me start thinking if I want to live my life as I do.

Dorian (the writer) is a simple man he has no big knowledges about the wilderness or how to survive in it but he has a big love for nature and not afraid of trying. He shows that it s possible to live in the wilderness without a lot of special gear and "a knife that would make Rambo jealous".

Check out his site with has some really good pictures http://www.dorianamos.com/

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Mikey p, sorry mate, I din't 'fail 'to write that the book was poorly written or that the editing was wanting, I just did not think that when I read it, personally I have to disagree. I didn't find it heard to read at all, in fact I found it quite light to read.
I enjoyed it anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE