the forager handbook

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The Forager Handbook by Miles Irving (Ebury Press)

Publication date; 2 July 2009

forager-handbook.jpg

A review of the forthcoming forager handbook

We were sent ‘the forager handbook’ a little while ago for review and I have to say that I didn’t really know what to expect, I’ve picked up so many books on foraging over the years and found that many of them disappoint, especially when they’re up against the stalwarts found in many wild food book collections. It’s good to be able to say that the forager handbook isn’t one that disappoints, although it’s not what we would usually expect from a foraging/wild food cookery book.

It’s a decent size hardback with about 400 pages and an old time, some might call classic binding that does work well to produce an attractive book that feels like a quality purchase, although it’s much more likely to be found on a coffee table than out in the wilds due to its size and weight.

The book is broken down into 3 parts:

PART 1 BASICS

Part 2 PLANTS (over 365 are covered)

PART 3 RESOURCES

There is some good introductory information to foraging covering the law, how to forage, soils, gathering and using plants amongst others. This is a good lead into the rest of the book and sets the tone for responsible foraging

The content, which is the real interest to most people is very good, it’s broken down into different species families, so, for example you would get all the plants in the ‘Dock’ family and then the ‘Figwort’ family at the start of each new section there’s a description that covers general information – Poisonous or not, growing conditions, characteristics etc that are appropriate to that pant type, then it covers the individual plants from distribution and habitat through to uses and recipes going into adequate details to get a great deal from your foraging.

The 300 odd pictures throughout the book are of high quality and they’re scaled if they’re not life sized which is great for helping identify them and the pictures are taken at the most useful stage of the plants life helping you to know when to gather as well as what to gather, the pictures are a strong point in the book, but also a weakness, they are all black and white and even though they’re good quality I do feel that having colour would have made identification much easier and well as helping our ability to recognise what’s around us form the pictures. The classic feel of the book should have been kept to the covers and not influenced the photography.

The resources section of the book is well laid out and useful for furthering ones interest and for fast identification of the information you want to get out of the book, with advice on where else to look for information as well as an excellent glossary.

Conclusion: Overall I like the book, I do think that it would have been better with colour photographs but even without it’s worth owning, although at a rrp of £30 it’s not cheap but you can find it cheaper if you look about.

Available from the 2nd July from all good bookshops

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
From Mears/Hillman 'Wild Food', there was a comment that they were putting together a more comprehensive guide in the future. No idea when it's supposed to be coming out, though.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
Tony I agree with you about the photos I had a look at this book in waterstone's yesterday, at the price of £30 full price, I think they should have been in colour.

Neil

Wattler

Oct 14, 2005
Kent
www.forager.org.uk
Tony thanks again for giving such a positive review of the book. re the photos the great majority of them are of leaves so I don't think you should be missing too much without colour, leaves are generally green! what you do get is a much clearer image of the form of the leaves, with no clutter from background as they are pretty much all taken against a white background then cut out. to be honest we expect people to use a wildflower field guide as well so the aim was to do something with the images which goes beyond what normally appears in these. btw I highly recommend the vegetative key to the british flora by J. Poland and E.J. Clement. a new book just out it is amazing for identifying plants when not in flower.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I received my copy of "The Forager Handbook" today. It's a handsome publication and, on initial inspection, I think that the monochrome pictures make the plant identification slightly easier. What is most useful is the scale indicator which gives you a clear idea about the size of the thing you're looking for.

I made the mistake of ordering the Vegetative Key with it. I say 'mistake' because the information in it is unapologetically aimed at those who know their plants - intimately. I'll persist with it but I have a sneaking suspicion that it'll spend a fair time on the shelf rather than in my pack.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
From Mears/Hillman 'Wild Food', there was a comment that they were putting together a more comprehensive guide in the future. No idea when it's supposed to be coming out, though.

I asked RM last year, who said there were some delays, but that it was still on track. To rephrase that, "no idea when it's supposed to be coming out, though".

descry0

Nov 14, 2008
Northumberland
I had a flick through yesterday at Borders and thought initially it was a great book for the amount of information. Almost acting as a dictionary of edible plants and families to refer to after identification. But the BW images for the price did put me off, though at the amazon price I may go for it.

What do other members use as a bible of plant identification and their uses?

I've always liked Roger Phillips books and carry around Collins food for free but I need to learn more and to cross reference the poisonous look-a-likes.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I got hold of a half-price copy on Amazon last week. I have looked through it and I think it is VERY good. The price tag of £15 is easily justified by the production quality of the book. No prob with the B/W photos either really - the contrast helps see detail such as leaf vein patterns easier. I would not be using it as a field guide as such anyway - its both too large and indexed by family rather than habitat or plant characteristics. However - this now sits side by side at the top of my foraging book collection.

LBL

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE