The Father In Laws Shed

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The father in law is getting on a bit, he's 85 or 86 I think... anyway, a while ago, his old shed blew down, so he decided he would have a new one.

I asked if he wanted a hand to put it up but he said that the firm he was using, also erected their sheds for the customer. ( sigh of relief!)

So we went over on Sunday, for our normal visit and he told us this tale:

He picked one out and it was delivered but when it arrived, he was a bit disappointed with the build quality, having been used to allotment sheds built with anything from old doors to railway sleepers, but he thought; "Oh Well...."

The lads that delivered it, also put it up for him and the last job, was to fit the ( luckily) plastic window pane.

He was quite pleased to see that at least a small bit of traditional craft had been included in the new shed, when the older of the two delivery lads produced a small tub of glazers putty and started to clag a load of said material around the "frame" for the window.

The window was fitted and the lads departed. The old fella then started moving his stuff into the shed and it was soon time to knock off.

Before he went off to bed, he had a last look into the garden and noticed that the window pane had fallen out of the frame onto the grass:confused: Well.. he thought..just as well the window WAS plastic!

He decided he would sort it out in the morning and went off to bed.

So, next morning, he was woken as usual; by the spuggies coughing and got himself up out of bed.
Cup of tea and a bit of breakfast, then he set to with the shed window and the remaining putty which the delivery men had left behind, again-luckily;)

He had the window back in, in no time at all and finished off fitting out the shed with his bits and bobs.

After another tiring day, he was off to bed again and once more, checked out the shed before retiring, this time the window was fine so off he went.

The following morning, he got up and there was the shed window on the grass again, on investigation, he realised that the putty, used to fix the window in place was gone, except for a few bits here and there.

He started to suspect foul play so with the last remnants of the putty left by the delivery lads, refitted the window after adding a few nails to hold it all in place first.

Right now at this point, yours truly (me) said: " what about using some thin strips of wood to hold it all in?"
" oh no, it should've been fine as it was" came the reply.

So, never mind, the old fella continued with his tale; He decided to sit in the shed for an hour or two after dark and see what was happening to his window.
After about an hour, he heard a heavy scratching and something jumped up onto the small window ledge.
It was a cat and it settled itself on the ledge, he was sure it would just be sitting there to watch for rats or mice or whatever but then it started to lick the edges of the window frame!

At this point my wife, spoke up: "never in the world!, I would never have thought a cat would eat that stuff" :eek:

"Oh...I don't know" replied her Dad; "It was a puttycat!":rolleyes:

Cheers Eric:D
Thank you and goodnight.

R.B.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Funny but partially true :) Its not the cats that love putty its mice ! My family business is in glazing and we often find tubs of putty with holes in the side and half the content missing :eek: It must be due to the linseed content but with a belly full off putty it makes the cats job a lot easier :eek:

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Groan !!!

That`s five minutes of my life I won`t get back ....

Nice one RB

Rich

Never mind Rich, it took me nearly an hour to write up and I'll definitely not get that back!
Anyway blame that Eric Methven for being far too inspirational by half:D

I've known the old fella (the father in law not Eric) for about 26 years and I've never ever known him tell a joke! When he came out with that lot....... I was gobsmacked :eek:
cheers
R.B.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I seem to remember that some birds eat putty too. I know that when I put in some new glass in a house out in the countryside that I had to protect it or it would be eaten.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE