The Fairbairn Smatchet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
I tend to agree - its an , odd shape - If we are talking in terms of its intended use it obviously has the required length but why the additional midway weight and bulk? If its intended for slashing that could be achieved with equal length and less bulk. If its intended for stabbing again same thing can be achieved with the same length and a sharp point.

It obviously doesn't have a triangular blade profile which would make wounds remain open.

Its interesting but I can't see the reasoning for it to be designed in such a way. Any Idea?

Its quite a long long way from the FS designed pig sticker which was primarily intended for sentry removal I believe, this thing is more of a Oriental inspired small machete.

I read somewhere that the thought process started with a machete/ parang in mind....the lump
In the middle would certainly give some weight...wonder if in being in the middle it balances the blade somewhat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TeeDee

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Reminds me somewhat of those bronze age Celtic swords. I dare say the shape optimises for chopping more than anything else, like a Bolo machete. Not much point in it being double edged though if it is to be a tool rather than an item of curiosity.

Reactions: TeeDee

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The ridge in the middle gives the blade some transverse bending stiffness and strength and more weight. On the whole I don't think a well made steel blade needs it unless it is going to be used as a crowbar.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE