The f word

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dragonferret

Oct 10, 2005
pl9
Who saw gordon ramseys the f word last night , i was quite surprised to see how a man who is made to look like a tough guy is really quite soft at heart . Coz in his run up to shooting the deer he was quoting things like man vs beast and how it takes a real man to do the deed , but when it came down to pulling the trigger he could not do it showing everyone he is not completly ruthless

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Taking the life of an animal is a strange thing. Some can do it and not be bothered at all, others could never do it but will eat the meat of an animal culled in unknown (to them) circumstances. Some folk can get all spiritual and wierd, leaving a small offering to the animals' spirit ( a kit kat or something maybe! :rolleyes:) whilst others try to treat the animal with the respect it deserves by using its meat if possible (Disease can scupper that plan) and the role they undertake is one of conservation.

There are many other angles you can look at it from, I shoot for the pot and take what I can or leave for the fox. Can't see why chucking a carcass in the bin will do any good, other than create a breeding ground for a few weeks for the flies. The shooting, IMO, keeps the numbers down and stops the wildfire like spread of mixy and other diseases, also stops the genepool getting too small. Having a good shoot allows you to be picky with your targets, take down the older animals and let the youngsters move on up.

Maybe GR just isn't into shooting deer. I know he has taken hares with an eagle and netted rabbits using dogs and ferrets. He's not a complete wuss!

dragonferret

Oct 10, 2005
pl9
Sorry spamel i think you have got me wrong i'm not calling him a big wuss at all just making an observation that he has a more gentle side to him than the one you see when he is in the kitchen . As for myself dispatching animals comes very easy since i am a trained keeper .

I've dispatched a few animals in the past and I find it much easier looking down a scope and pulling a trigger ( I don't shoot anymore though) than taking an animal in your bare hands and dispatching it ( like a rabbit when I'm ferreting or one of my chickens)..there is a certain side of human nature that respects animals as living creatures and that is as it should be, and I do get a bit spiritual when taking a life..trying to use every part even the skin or feathers and giving thanks for the meat, bit of a hippie I suppose....

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Sorry spamel i think you have got me wrong i'm not calling him a big wuss at all just making an observation that he has a more gentle side to him than the one you see when he is in the kitchen . As for myself dispatching animals comes very easy since i am a trained keeper .

I never thought for a moment you were. Fact remains that he has that hard man image and I see where you are coming from. Funnily enough, Ross Kemp also has that hard man image, I didn't really think much of him until I heard him being interviewed by Steve Wright or Chris Evans a while back. He thought the idea was laughable and admitted he's not at all like the image he has been given on TV. In fact, he said something about wanting to get the hell out of there when it kicked off on one of his programmes (the gangs one I think). He came acros really well and I think a bit better of him for it. Still won't watch Ultimate Farce though! :D

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
I think that image and reality are separate entities, particularly in blokes. I think that is magnified when you are in the public eye.

I am the other way around - I have a hardened reality and have spent the last few years trying hard to cultivate a softer image.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE