The DIY Challenge - some of my kit

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Some items I may be using for the DIY Challenge :)
Blanket sleeping bag with Thai Silk liner - I will use a waxed cotton ground sheet though...
DSCF5983 (2015_01_01 06_41_25 UTC).jpg
Carrying kit
P2140002.jpg
Belts
008 (2015_01_01 06_41_25 UTC).jpg
Possible clothing...
Oct25752 (2014_12_26 19_57_08 UTC).jpg
P3100007.jpg
linen shirt and breeks.jpg
wool smock and breeks socks and leg wraps.jpg
001 (2015_01_01 06_41_25 UTC).jpg
Hammock
018 (2015_01_01 06_41_25 UTC).jpg
All weather blanket
005 (2014_12_26 19_57_08 UTC).jpg
Tarp
002 (2015_01_01 06_41_25 UTC).jpg
cooking implements and cups (not the bakestone!)
003 (2014_12_24 05_44_15 UTC).jpg

and so much more!:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If I get the time I may make a sand coloured cambric shirt and some ripstop light weight cotton trousers in modern style ... if not it will be my Irn Age kit...
Busy cutting a summer cap at the moment - canvas with a leather sweat band, Ventile crown and neck flap - Foreign Legion stylee... to cope with summer wind, rain and sun!

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
out of curriosity how did you attach the handle to the coconut cup? i've had a hollowed/out sawn one for ages that was supposed to b a hawian knee drum untill i realised how dificult it was to get shark skin.

this could be another use for it.

Also as others stated i'm in.
might be the end of the summer though, as i've got another pack and a heavier pair of trousers to make now!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
out of curriosity how did you attach the handle to the coconut cup? i've had a hollowed/out sawn one for ages that was supposed to b a hawian knee drum untill i realised how dificult it was to get shark skin.

this could be another use for it.

Also as others stated i'm in.
might be the end of the summer though, as i've got another pack and a heavier pair of trousers to make now!

Glued (resin, charcoal, wax mix) and screwed (from the inside with small stainless steel self tappers) all the instructions are in my book :) The bigger the nut the bigger the mug and the easier it is to get in with a screwdriver - mine is about a pint and I used an angled screwdriver.
Hot drinks do not seem too hot for the glue though I generally use the mug for filter coffee not tea ... to the liquid is below boiling... (darn - if I want filter coffee on the challenge I will have to make a filter.....)

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK - sorted my hat :)
A "Foreign Legion Stylee Kepi, made from off cuts from a canvas kit bag I had cut up for another project, some off-cuts of Ventile to line the crown and a strip of an old leather jacket to furnish the sweat band. The peak cstiffener came from my "bits" box....
The Badge is an old "The Great Brotherhood of Welsh Scouts" enamel pin that I have had since my days as a Scout Leader.
P5110002.jpg
P5110004.jpg
P5110005.jpg
P5110006.jpg
Buy me a cigar at the Moot and I will do my impersonation of Fidel....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have been busy making lashing cord from garden twine - twisting it up in a hand drill - and have made a "use it and lose it" fryingpan from a sweetie tin lid and a bit of broom handle.... it should last at least 2 days :)
I have been thinking what DIY kit I have for the challenge and have come up with this list ... unless stated it is all my own design and make
Hammock
Stretcher bed
Blanket sleeping bag
Thai silk liner bag
Waxed cotton backed blanket
Waxed cotton groundsheet
Canvas Tarp made from drop cloths
Canvas tarp made by Bilmo to my Specs (a variation on his standard tarp)
Nylon Tarp made by Kathmandu trekking to my spec and with extra guy points added by me later.

Canvas and leather rucksack
Canvas and leather haversack
Roycraft packframe
Canvas totes
Canvas stuffsacks
Waxed cotton stuff sacks
Coke can meths stove
3 Hinge trivet
Coffee can billies
Sweetie tin lid frying pan
Forged pot hangers
Carved pot hangers
Carved bowls
Carved mugs
Coconut Mug
Carved KFS, spatula etc
Leather waterbottle
Flint and steel set
Sulfur matches
Wax and sawdust firelighter blocks
Forged knife
Stock removal knife
Hatchet made from found head
Rope spun from Sisal twine
Cordage spun from garden twine
Candlestick from baccy tin
Chairs of 2 styles
Pouches for FAK, Hygeine kit and camera
Linen shirt
Linen trousers
Wool shirt/pullover
Woolen Bushshirt
Woolen booty socks
Woolen Bunnet
Woolen leg wraps
Iron Age shoes
Turn shoes
Flip flops
Leather belts
Waxed cotton jacket
Ventile-ish jacket
Cotton Gilet
Wool lined Waxed cotton Gilet
Woolen "Monk's Hood"
Merino "combat" pants (not too good - to warm for summer but let a lot of wind through)
Wool Flannel shirt - made by Drefach Woolen Mill to my pattern
Merino Swanni Clone stylee shirts
Leather Sporran
Leather Pouches
Canvas and Ventile Kepi.

I really need to get someone to knit me some socks to my specs (I cannot knit to save my life) as the bootee socks are pretty warn in summer ... or I could go barefoot inside the Iron Age shoes in summer.
I still want to make some good , modern style, trousers and a summer shirt to my pattern, make an oven from a sweetie tin, work out a decent coffee filter method from the bits I have to play with (perhaps a cambric pouch...?) and I may try making another Bucksaw... and make more string (nettle, willow, bramble perhaps)
oh - and make some comfortable underwear!
Then I might be ready :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE