The Cowal Way- June 2012

Sep 4, 2011
Glasgow
Hi All,

Three mate's and I intend on completing the Cowal Way this year in June. We are still in the very early stages of planning, none of us have ever done a route as long as this, or camped out as many nights in a row.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/argyll/cowal-way.shtml

I’ve been reading this forum for a while now and have learnt a few things regarding reducing weight in your pack etc. I have a few questions, I was hoping to get answered on here.

Hammock or tent? I’ve suggested we get hammocks(DD Travel hammock and tarp) as they are lighter than you same priced tents is this a sensible idea? Although the travel hammock can be used as a bivi I’m worried about not being able to find suitable tree’s to set up camp for 4 people.

Experience wise I’ve done plenty of ground dwelling but never used a hammock, some of my mates aren’t as practical as myself so another concern is how easy/difficult is it to set up a hammock after walking 13 miles for 2 days in a row?

I’m sure I will come up with lots more questions issues, but at the moment sorting the sleeping arrangements is priority any other advise offered will be greatly appreciated J

Thanks
Paddy

Ratbag

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Scotland in June? Two words fella - midge repellant.

I'd take tents for that very reason, to get some respite from the little beggars when you stop to camp. When you're moving they're less of an issue, because they can't keep up! But unless you can find breezy places to camp I'd go for two 2-man tents.

Also, it has been known to snow, sleet and even rain a bit in Scotland in June.....

HTH

Rat

johnnyneuro

Jan 5, 2007
Cambridge
Walk it south to north, and on your way south to begin the trip cache food stores along the way and then walk for cache to cache. A real weight saver.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
The DD travel hammocks are excellent because, as you say, you can also bivvy with them. The built in mozzie net is great and they are comfy. It can expand your opportunities to camp as you can sling them up in areas of woodland where erecting a tent would be difficult. They take less time to set up than a tent (although practice many times before you go so it's second nature).

The downside is that with the dreaded Scottish midge, you'll be safe enough in the hammock but very limited over longer periods and probably end up feeling hemmed in (at least in a tent you can be packing your gear etc). The weight is an issue as well as if you're carrying 4 hammocks & 4 tarps (or 2 large tarps) it's going to weigh a lot more than a couple of 2 man tents.

On the subject of midges, as well as any sprays & lotions buy a midge hood as well. Sometimes the best defence is keeping a barrier between you and them otherwise your trip could be a misery.

In saying that, I'd personally still probably choose the hammocks for the flexibility and comfort aspect.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
walking 13 miles for 2 days in a row?
I hope this doesn’t come as to much of a shock but the Cowel Way is 92k,.. 57 miles but the longer the better I say.
Bivi bag, Avon SSS, and a midge head net. I’ve done most of the Scottish long distance walks with just a 35L pack, just keep it light.
PS. At the end of the C,W get the ferry from Tarbert across Loch Lomond to Inversnaid and walk back down the West Highland Way to Glasgow, there’s a couple o good pubs and whisky stills on the way to Enjoy.....

PPS. If you see a loon "loon" sorry auld #### in a Mackenzie kilt say Ciamar a tha thu ,and we'll have a Dram.:mosquitos:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE