the big bushcraft question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
gotta disagree a little adi, machete or parang would be too big for some of the smaler tasks like spoons bowls or fishooks wouldnt they?

Tant

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Not if you augment it with sharpened shells and stones and use them as cutting tools. I find it easier to carry out light tasks with a big knife than heavy tasks with a small knife.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Adi007 said:
Not if you augment it with sharpened shells and stones and use them as cutting tools. I find it easier to carry out light tasks with a big knife than heavy tasks with a small knife.
I agree on that. A medium sized big knife would be good IMO. Something like a 25 cm. blade. It's easy to chop with, but still it's better for small tasks than a 50 cm. machete. :biggthump :wink:

Les Marshall

Life Member
Jan 21, 2004
Chichester West Sussex
I'd have to say that my SFA would be my preffered item as I would have my knife and fire kit on my belt. Being a squaddy, my pockets would be bulging with the stuff that comes under the heading "That might come in handy", Dept. Good question though. :p

G

Ginja

I'm with Adi on this one ... if I had to boil everything down to just one piece of kit, then it would have to be a parang, no doubt about it.

But I like the idea of taking the contents of Tescos, very inventive. Not sure about the missus ... I've seen that film 'Alive' and know what happens to people under those circumstances! I wouldn't stand a chance ...

G :)

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Something that I could guarantee would help me start a fire, like, probably a fire stick, not matches or a lighter cos eventually they'd both run out.
As long as I had fire I think I would be a great deal happier. I'd have heat, something to cook on, boil water on (if you could forage yourself something that resembled a container - don't know how well large empty shells hold up over heat?).

Yes, I think I'd be happy with a fire.
:red:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE