The big burly kuksa

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ive made a few large kuksa now, but I wanted a pretty one and a large sycamore burr came my way.
I also wanted it to hold hot liquids, not crack or leak.

I'm pleased to say its passed and working well. I made up a pine pitch using Pine resin, beeswax and ground charcoal for the suspect knots, and oiled the outside with Rapeseed oil.

It holds 350ml to the brim so theres a bit of room spare for movement which allows me to wake up in the morning with a good strong large coffee :) This will be my new camping buddy.

Lots more pictures and pine pitch repair in the blog here http://woodsmancrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/big-burly-kuksa.html

100_3810-1.jpg

Frosts 106 Knife for scale

100_3811-1.jpg

100_3816-1.jpg

Addo :)

Last edited:

Ratbag

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
That is superb!

Is the pitch on the inside or the outside? Does it hold up against the hot brew? I've got the infamous leaky birch burl cup which needs waterproofing somehow....

Cheers

Rat

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers fellas, its mainly on the outside ratty and i kept heating it to pull it through more. A lesser amount was needed on the inside and the brew didnt seem to bother it. Red wine will be tested throughly this evening :beer:

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
I like the shape of that kuska, it looks a bit the front of a viking ship, like your ash bowl, if you ever come across another burl please pm me, and I will pay for pp. many thanks the interceptor boy.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i think that's the probably the nicest carving i've seen you do so far paul, really lovely, well done mate

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks a lot for all the comments folks, I was quite surprised by the colours in this one. Its always a gamble with burrs/burls as you never know how many decayed sections or patterns you will get till well into the carving.
I owe the giver of this one a big cream cake, and I'm glad it wasn't cast aside into the log pile. I think I'll be on the lookout for more of these next time I'm out thinning the woods. Cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE