the best set of tarps ever (in my opinion of course)

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
so what am i talking about? Well i am talking about the true north outdoor large tarp and the true north outdoor little tarp.

Now you can buy the little tarp from here;
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/produ ... PageID=112

and you can buy the big tarp from here:
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/produ ... PageID=112

I have had the BTNOT (Big True North Outdoors Tarp) for about five years if my memory serves me correctly and i am over the button moon with it because it enables me to setup exactly as i want no matter what the weather. now the LTNOT (Little True North Outdoors Tarp) i have had since christmas and i love it because its the same good quality product just smaller.

Now the LTNOT stats

Two to 3 person shelter - Paddlers, Fellsmen, Wilderness travellers. 3m x 2.4m. Wt: 1.2 kg
Ideal for use with a hammock providing a large “downstairs” area to cook and prep kit.
Highly Versatile as either shelter sheet or bivvy.
Tough, Light Ripstop polyester.
Triple-dipped polyurethane proofed.
12 x Reinforced 600kg webbing loops on periphery.
3 x Reinforced 600kg rigging loops on centre webbing tape.
Walking Pole or paddle guy locator pockets with 2 guylines.
Pouch with 10 x alloy tent pegs
Low impact green with grey webbing tapes on black reinforcement points

unfortunatly i have not had the little tarp long enough to take any photos of it in use so i will move on to the big on.

now the BTNOT stats

•Large area coverage. 4.5m x 3m. Wt 1.8 kg
•Highly Versatile, with multiple rigging options
•Tough, Light, Ripstop polyester
•Triple-dipped polyurethane proofed
•12 x reinforced 600 kg webbing loops on periphery
•3 x reinforced 600 kg rigging loops on centre webbing tape
•Walking Pole or paddle guy locator pockets with 2 guylines
•Pouch with 10 x alloy tent pegs
•Low impact green with grey tapes on black reinforcement points
•Supplied with A4 rigging suggestions and free CD-Rom Tarp Video to get you started

now here is a picture of how i like to set up my big tarp when i am base camping
DSC_0765-1.jpg

Now this set up enables me to do every thing i need to and much more besides regardles of the weather cos i can cook and i can live underneath it.

So why do i say they are the greatest set of tarps ever well

a few pointers that i like about them is:

All loops are reinforced and sewn on in manner that shows they can take some abuse.

The material isnt the sort to blow about and make a ton load of noise in the wind yes admittedly its not as quiet as canvas but still i like it.

The placement of the loops on both the ridge line and the outer edge is well thought out and is even placed in the correct way so that you can use pole locators on any of them.

Yes admittedly neither of them are anywhere near as light as some of these modern light weight uber cool things you see but i personally think that show strenght and the ability to take some or all the abuse that i or mother nature is going to through at it.

Now as you can see i have four pole locators and there are only two supplied with both tarps so if you buy both like i have dunn you will end up with four.
I on the other hand have six because i sorced some from true north outdoors and then got the little one for christmas and so have given my gf the other two so she now has four because she has baught the big tarp to go hammocking with me.

My over all conclusion is that i am like i have said over the button moon with both tarps and am more than happy to go out in any weather and use them as shelter and have dunn on many occassions.
I cant see my self ever buying a another one because they just work no fuss no hassle and are ausome so in my opinion if you want a deceant set of tarps for base camping or back packing or conoeing as they were orginally desgin for these are the bad boys to get.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
The seam tapes on my Big Tarp started peeling after about 18 months regular use in multiple configurations, but up until then I hd been highly delighted with it.

Last edited:

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
The seam tapes on my Big Tarp started peeling after about 18 months regular use in multiple configurations, but up until then I hd been highly delighted with it.

not had this problem as of yet Ian. Why not get incontact with ged at true north outdoors i am sure he would want to know about that and maybe even offer you a replacement he seems like a genuine guy.

drew

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
not had this problem as of yet Ian. Why not get incontact with ged at true north outdoors i am sure he would want to know about that and maybe even offer you a replacement he seems like a genuine guy.

drew

I spoke with him shortly after it happened. He was sympathetic, recommended 'Stormsure' to re-seal the seams and offered me a discount on my next purchase from True North. Not long after that I started making my own tarps and I don't now see me buying a ready-made tarp anytime soon.

Good review - and I like your set up in the photo. Just one question...

I noted that the tarp is made from rip stop nylon, and you have an open fire pit in your set up (very similar, if not identical to the way I camp). Any problems, so far with sparks?

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
u just have to be sensible

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

omg!!!!!!

seriously though,..

thats probably the best post of yours ive ever read,...

clear and spaces between the lines,...

and a nice interesting read, almost think i should buy one,..

well done,..(not patronising)

AUSOME!!!!!

Last edited:

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london

That's a real pity, I've just come around to the idea of buying this, as the large tarp I bought from ebay doesn't cut it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE