The Badger Track and Sign Thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Further to Barn Owl's brilliant suggestion here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73612&p=913033#post913033

This will be a database for positively ID'd track and sign for badgers only (feel free to start threads for other animals).

I'll kick it off and if anyone has more please add to it. I also feel that imperfect/partial prints on different substrates would be most beneficial as 99% of the time that is what you will find in the field.
Hopefully we can build up a great point of reference over time.

Here's a nice print to start with.
11052011405.jpg

A typical sett entrance, even a bit of rabbit droppings at the front too!
Note the spoil heap and the bedding. Badgers regularly clean out and gather fresh bedding.
01062011475.jpg

Latrine - consistency and colour of scat can vary according to diet. Mainly quite near to a sett but are also used to mark territory too.
19022011072.jpg

No, not another sett entrance.
11052011378.jpg

Brock has dug up a bees nest for a feast.
11052011379.jpg

Some more scat containing rabbit fur (I think). This wasn't in a latrine and there were lumps of this everywhere.
11052011408.jpg

Badger trail through the ramsons. I especially like this because it's a perfect crossroads - no human interference at all.
18032011202.jpg

Scratching log that's been well used. This would be an ideal place to hide nearby and try to spot them.
19032011216.jpg

Another feast. This time it's a wasp nest that's been dug up.
DSC00919.jpg

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Badger Meles meles
.....Babger's walking gait. .
p1130673.jpg
.Badger path. .Badger path.Hair on barbed wire .Bedding] Winter scat very loose.
Spring scat.
..Summer scat dry and composed mostly of raspberry and wheat seeds .
.Babger path to latrine..

.Wasp nest raded by Bager.

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
bit more classic fence/wall sign

the kind of gap brock looks for;

the kind of thing he leaves behind;

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
a few photo's from earlier today, i'd hoped that going out with a good covering of snow would help me answer a question that's been bugging me for a while, and it did, i can now see exactly where the badgers are going under a fence into a field and things make more sense. unfortunately the main badger track that i was 100% certain was the one that they use going to and from the sett every night hasn't been touched for days, so back to the drawing board with that one. anyway, the photo's;

ignore the really well trodden patch in front of the hole that brock dug, that's mainly trodden down by my dog telling me "dad, dad, look, look, it's that smell that we follow"
j98o6b.jpg

a closer shot of the hole
znlxj6.jpg

this is a closer shot of the track that you can see middle right on the photo above
2j0bgco.jpg

first part of the solution to my problem, there's more than one badger using this trail, or maybe the same animal using the same trail twice in the same night
2mh5k5.jpg

through the fence and into the open fields
2yoxtg2.jpg

one trails heads this way
6o35tt.jpg

another one this way
53vktz.jpg

the snow's really helped me out here, i think the badger loops back on itself and then goes over the same little section of trail every night. shame really that i have to re-think what i already knew for sure, but it's all part of the fun

thanks for looking

stuart

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
A badger's passage through a thicket ;

2012_0605tracks0723-1.jpg

Badger's set under a pine tree adjacent to a disused sand quarry.

2012_0605tracks0789.jpg

There are some visible tracks in the foreground, near the entrance.
2012_0605tracks0787.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE