The Absolute Best Edge Strop On The Planet!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
I grew up from about the age of six in the influence of wild, colonial new world immigrants, pioneers, soldier settlers and bushmen such as the like of Richard Graves of Bushcraft Handbook fame. I've been here for awhile and I now feel motivated enough that I'd like to begin to share some of it with the people in this place! The first things I'd love to talk about are the awesome bits of absolutely free, improvised bits of kit you have at your disposal!

I find it strange that for a Bushcraft Website that there is so much emphasis placed on store bought gear and fashion. Contrast this with the likes of Richard Graves and the Ten Bushcraft Books; There are absolutely no references to store bought gear or purpose made equipment at all!! Everything is improvised through the use of Bushcraft Skills! If you look on this site the reverse is more predominate, the main focus is on equipment, kit and knives over craft and skill by about three hundred to one???? :rolleyes: My perception is, be it right or wrong that there is a serious imbalance with this, so I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and contribute some more!!

My first effort will be in the way of the "Forearm Strop" I often laugh when I read about the expensive strops and exotic abrasive compounds that people are carrying and using to bring up their edges. The absolute best improvised strop on the planet if you are a right hander is a BIG GREASY, SWEATY, GRITTY left forearm!!! If you own a Mora, Swiss Army Knife, Woodlore or any two, three, four or even five inch blade then you are going to see that your dirty forearm is an awesome strop! Hold out your left forearm clench your fist to present a taught stropping surface, make sure your arm is suitably greasy, gritty and sweaty and away you go! Now you can seriously screw this up if you are inexperienced and can get yourself a good cut!! So start with a butter knife and practice: - Draw, Turnover, Push, Draw, Turnover, Push, Draw, Turnover, Push, Draw, Turnover, Push. Now go shave some hair with it!!! Try it! Cause then you'll throw away the expensive strop and stropping compound forever!!! This really works!! See how polished and razor like your edge comes up after this treatment!!

I have impressive memories of my grandfather and the sight of his forearm stropping cut throat razors as well as filleting, skinning and butchering knives in the yard after a going over on the stone!

Guys you can all go tell me to jump if you wish, but if you are interested then I'll come back with some more if you are keen!

Reactions: Biddlesby

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
sounds great aussie - scary but great!

I assume you use the outside of your arm as it has less major 'squirty bits' in case you make a mess of it and push instead of draw......

I think i'll give it a go somewhen....... with the precaution of being within staggering distance of a&e before i try ;)

seriously! - keep it up, give us more!!! :D

Good man Aussie. I'd love to hear more. I tried the forearm strop. Can't say I noticed any difference. Mayby I wasn't sweaty enough as I had just had a shower. You know, it was actually not a scarey as it may sound. just be careful you don't dig the tip of the knife into your arm on the backwards sweep. Keep the tips coming mate. I like 'em

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
g4ghb,

Yes good point! It is the outside of your arm as in the hairy, abrasive, weather beaten side!! The risk of injury is basically no greater than that of shaving your face if you do it right!! :)

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
C elt_Ginger

You will notice a big difference when you have just finished with the hone and you have an edge that will only just shave hair, if you want to see those same hairs literally "pop" off with a light swipe then just strop on the arm for 30 seconds!

H

Hi Lander

That is great idea and one I will have to try :You_Rock_

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Great idea. I'm used to stropping my razor on leather, so I'm hoping that I shouldn't cut myself when using my arm. Will be handy for my Mora. Now all I'll have to do is not wash for a bit...

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
hi Aussie.
I´m guilt I was bitten by consupsion.
I think both ways are ok techinc knowledge and feedback form some item to avoid future purchases.
I´m happier with my DIY items than with purchased ones and happier when I can applied knowledges to resolve bushcraft tasks. :You_Rock_

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
This does work very well, stropping like this also gives you a much better feel for your edge, you will literally feel the edge begin to "sing" on your skin once you start to bring the edge up to hair shaving sharp. I also will once again urge caution if you stuff this up you can be well cut! Go slow at first.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
you don't want grint on your arm when you use it for stropping

I have been known to use the palm of my hand, I just don't see that it's any better then a bit of leather. I also wouldn't spend money on a strop.
Your arm wont have as much contact with the blade though, it's easier IMO to know which part of the blade you've stropped. many people may find it more difficult to get it even as well.

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
Andy,

Not meant to be taken so literally! The grit is just a reference to the dust and dirt you naturally collect on your skin when you are working outside in places like Australian cattleyards, paddocks, bush blocks etc. You can use the palm of your hand but for knife blades it is more difficult, I know lots of old school carpenters who use their hands to strop their chisels. I like this method because it just means one less bit of gear you need to have at hand or to carry. It is very convenient and it is free and fast! Try it you'll see what I mean.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
AUSSIE said:
Andy,
Try it you'll see what I mean.
I have (I have tried a hell of a lot of different strops)

I like to use a belt as I didn't get on with the arm, though just using your leg is good too (with or without trousers on). I tend to carry a pair of cycling gloves which are very heat resistant as well as being very good at resisting being cut. I sometimes strop a knife on them which works without risking cutting yourself. Also very handy for dealing with pots when your cooking over a fire :)

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
My Dad showed me the forearm stropping method when I was just a kid. It's been a long time since I have used it. Thanks for the reminder. :)

I had started using the top of my leg, just behind the knee. I usually wear levi's or similar type of pants and the coarse material does a pretty good job of it. The only downside that I've found, is that the pants tend to wear out faster.

Well, this is turning into a bit of a debate. All I can say is if it works for you, then strop on your arm. If you don't think it is any good, then don't do it. I'm just glad that Aussie has decided to share some advice with us. I'm willing to give it a try and then judge for myself. I stroped my knife on my arm, more to see if I could do it or not, and it was easy enough. I didn't see any difference myself, but then again my knife was already very sharp. I WILL try it again though when I next have to sharpen it. Then, I can make a proper judgement for myself. Keep the tips coming Aussie please.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE