That's not a knife...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
...this is a knife... :D :D

whopper.jpg

The one in the middle obviously, what a whopper. Nice bit of kit too. :biggthump

Straight blade, convex ground with a deep recurve, A2 tool steel, nine inch of sharp stuff, 15 inches overall, 6mm thick (about 0.25 inch), limited edition (100 pieces) fantastic balance - in fact never handled a knife with such balance. You can spin it in your hand and it will rotate perfectly about it's lengthwise axis. You can take a ruler to the tip and heel, they are pefectly aligned, no mean feat to line it up like this but balance it so well.

Did I say, nice bit of kit?

I have a 10 inch kukri I need to do a comparison. Aside from my kuk, it's the biggest blimmin knife i've ever owned by a long way.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Martyn said:
...this is a knife... :D :D

The one in the middle obviously, what a whopper. Nice bit of kit too. :biggthump

Straight blade, convex ground with a deep recurve, A2 tool steel, nine inch of sharp stuff, 15 inches overall, 6mm thick (about 0.25 inch), limited edition (100 pieces) fantastic balance - in fact never handled a knife with such balance. You can spin it in your hand and it will rotate perfectly about it's lengthwise axis. You can take a ruler to the tip and heel, they are pefectly aligned, no mean feat to line it up like this but balance it so well.

Did I say, nice bit of kit?

I have a 10 inch kukri I need to do a comparison. Aside from my kuk, it's the biggest blimmin knife i've ever owned by a long way.

But can you drill holes with it :?: :eek:):

Seriously though, would it not be extremely difficult to explain a knife like that if you were stopped carrying it in UK? I mean a fixed blade 4" and even an axe would seem obvious as 'reasonable' carry ( although there is no firm rules I realise on this) but that one would scare the c**p out of me just seeing it if I opened the boot of your car :)

BUT of course, if Klingons ever invade Earth, you are well prepared for the battle :eek:):

Heghlu ' meH QaQ jajvam
Work that one out :lol:

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Moonraker said:
But can you drill holes with it :?: :eek:):

Yep!!

and both chop & whittle with it.

Having handled one, I would have to remove the top guard to make it properly comfortable if I ever got my hands on one. Of course, I'm probably never going to own one as there's only a few unsold ones left!

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Stew said:
Yep!!

and both chop & whittle with it.

Having handled one, I would have to remove the top guard to make it properly comfortable if I ever got my hands on one. Of course, I'm probably never going to own one as there's only a few unsold ones left!

It is indeed an Evolution One from BRK&T, it's a commemorative edition of a knife Mike designed 25 years ago, and was itself highly collectable, the Blackjack Mamba.

It was designed to be the "One Knife" lol, everybody's had a go. It actually is pretty good though. It is a development of the greek kopis, which was the forerunner to the Kukri. There are a large variety of grips which can be used which give the knife versatility, and thanks to the large choil, it's possible to comfortably and securely choke right up on the blade, giving this knife far more dexterity than you might imagine from a blade of this size. In terms of raw chopping power, it'll never replace a GrannyB, not as good as a big machette, or even as good as a largekukri, but it comes close to the latter two. Not bad for a knife that is a knife first and chopper second.

I agree with Stew about the guard though. It's quite thick and high, and the two little notches give away it's purpose. The guard had little use as a woodland or bushcraft tool (ever seen a kukri with a guard?), and the two little notches further confirm it's addition for the benefit of the (American) martial blade entheusiasts. That's a shame IMO. Though escape and evasion of a persuing enemy, living off the land and possible martial combat were probably in Mikes mind when he designed it as the "One Knife", but it doesnt translate well into a British woodland tool. I have no need to escape or evade anyone, I doubt anyone on this forum has either. IMO, the guard compromises it a little, but then that's because I have no need for it. Overall, a damned good knife, ...I may well grind off the top guard, but to do so would kill the knife as a collectors piece. Not sure if I want to do that to a £200 knife.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Jake Rollnick said:
I'd call it a machete...what would the difference be?

It's not big enough for a machette Jake, the blade is only 9" long. When you choke up on it, it's more like 6" (just 2" longer than a woodlore blade). It's a knife in the traditional sense, just a knife on the large side (my kukri above is actually pretty small for a kuk, with just a 10" blade).

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
That could be it, maybe i was looking at a large kuk, thats why i thought machete!

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Andy said:
The guard really puts me off it. I keep meaning to try a 9inch blade I have for bushcraft stuff. It's a worn down steak knife (small for one at 9 inches)

Well, if you were an American Marine, you may disagree. The broad guard naturally places your hand a good half inch behind it's leading face, which is a nice clearance if you happen to be in a knife fight and are reliant on the guard to actually guard. This raises an issue I have with many American designed blades, many are fantastic blades, spoilt only by thier defference to blade combat - a total preoccupation in the US knifemaking world. That's marketting for you. The makers are simply responding to demands from thier customers. Even though for the most part, they are fanciful demands based on scenarios that never, ever happen - they will buy blades designed for a purpose the owner will never encounter, then try and put said blade to a completely different purpose. Bizzare.

I agree, the Evo one would be a much better knife for "bush work" if it didn't have the top guard and the bottom guard was mush more discreet.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
He He. :eek:):

Despite having no use for guards I actually think the look of the knife is distinctive and OK as it is. Still I'm trying to stop being precious about blades and enjoy using them more than polishing them - so if you do decide on surgery by belt grinder then "respect" :super:

I do think that the bottom guard would have to be reduced substantially as well if you took the top one off.

Nice one for a 3D visualisation and a poll on both boards perhaps ?

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
Hi Martyn

Why not keep the Evo as a collectors piece as they will undoubtedly increase in value, but commission one of the BB makers to make a knife to that pattern but with your own tweaks? Guy likes making big knives, and I think he has the passaround, or is due to, so he can comment on it from having seen it.

:super:

Danzo

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I think it looks quite good with that top guard off, but may it decrease its value? :?:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE