Thatching and bed installation,another update(pic heavy)

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,i had to go back upto Wooplaw today, and i managed to get the thatching finished. I also got the raised bed made up, i just need to sort out the sprung matress and then top that off with finer materal.

Previous threads http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94687 and http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95117

Sides thatched and the bed frame laid out.
leanwoop800x600.jpg

leanwoop2800x600.jpg

Bed and Pillow, logs inplace.
leanwoop3800x600.jpg

leanwoop4800x600.jpg

And one ugly git for scale:).
leanwoop7800x600.jpg

And lying down on the job :rolleyes:.
leanwoop5800x600.jpg

And i will now try to answer some of the questions from the other threads.

As far as the waterproofness of the bracken, we have had some pretty hard rain storms this past week. When i got to the shelter today, the leafmold was wet in front of the shelter,but the leafmold on the inside was dry, infact i lay down on the bare ground just to see if my clothing wound pick up any wet patches, and thankfully i picked up none.
So safe to say it must be water tight.

As for the Tic situation, I have been cutting Bracken, infact shed loads of the stuff, and i'm pleased to report that i've not had or seen a single Tic.

As for the shelter being near Beech trees, the place i sited the shelter is not directly under any branches of size, plus i had checked for Widow makers in the planning stage, and safe to say it all looks good.

Anyway thanks for looking.

Cheers Stuart.

Last edited:

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Excellent work Stuart, looks like a grand shelter and the thatch looks very neat and tidy.
Hope you have a good camp in there.
Here's one I made minus the bed with another chap a few years ago.

S5001213.jpg

Ugly git pic :)
S5001210.jpg

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
that's fantastic stuart, just needs a nice reflector fire and it'll be cosy as you like :)

cheers

stuart

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Its looking good Stuart all you need now is a long log fire in front of it ,and some springy stuff on top of the bed to make it more comfortable .

Springy stuff is technical terminology for spruce boughs

Jason

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, thanks for the comments.
thats a smart and robust looking shelter. :bigok:
would i be correct in assuming you have the west to your rear?

Hi Toilet digger, To be honest i never though about the cardinal directions with this build, as i was more concerened to get the prevailing wind running parallel to the front of the shelter,so smoke form any fire would not circulate into it.

Hi Addo, thats fine looking shelter, did you sleep out using it?

Great as always. Is there much of an overhang on the roof to offer weather protection on the inward side?

Hi Dannttsg, If you look at this pic, you can see the bed frame logs are parallel with the front of the shelter, but the bed itself is sat further back inside. I would say the bed is about 8 to 10 inches further back from the shelter front.
leanwoop4800x600.jpg

I hope that helps.

Thanks again.

Cheers Stuart.

Last edited:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
thanks, I wondered if turning overnight would disloge one, but if theyre heavy enough I guess that wouldnt matter,

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Hi Stuart, yes I slept out in it for two nights. It was warm and wet weather. There was a funny moment one morning when a big fat slug dropped onto my face from the overhang. I'd just finished yawning :) Dry as a bone inside though. Your right about circulating smoke, its a real pain when the wind changes.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
awesome work Stu, how thick was the thatch out of interest, cant really tell from the pic's, at a guess about a foot thick???

regards.

chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE