That didn't go quite according to plan

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
In regards to my birch tray craft project... Well, I scouted out a rotten Birch tree in the woods today on my walk and took to harvesting it as this time it was nice and pliable, quite paper like instead of being hard and crusted. I took a section about 10 cm x 10cm, roughly, and brought it home. I put it under hot water and tried to scrape off the dirt and blackness, which proved more difficult than I thought. It transpired that by the end of the attempt I had nothing, due to cracking, curly and splitting. I think, perhaps, I should have waited for it to dry and then scrape off the dirt and other residue?

Oh well, live and learn, eh? Better to have tried than not at all.

Any tips for next time?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Oh well, live and learn, eh? Better to have tried than not at

Yes mate, that's what it's all about!

I made something's before, I didn't use water ate all? Just scraped with the back of a knife, I'm probably wrong, the bark was great, my container wasn't though! :)

Good luck, hope this helps :).

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
take the top layer from a living tree it comes off in sheets and doesnt harm the tree,if its off dead wood is not a lot of use.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Yes mate, that's what it's all about!

I made something's before, I didn't use water ate all? Just scraped with the back of a knife, I'm probably wrong, the bark was great, my container wasn't though! :)

Good luck, hope this helps :).
Indeed. Well, this particular bark happened to have more than just surface residue. It was blackened even to its thinner layer, if that's the right way to describe it. A sharp knife edge couldn't take it off, is what I mean.

Sorry for the pointless thread, by the way. It's just a log/record of my activities.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
take the top layer from a living tree it comes off in sheets and doesnt harm the tree,if its off dead wood is not a lot of use.
That's interesting because a few folks where saying I'm better off just using something from a rotten log as you can cut deeper and so give a thicker piece of bark. I'm not sure taking shedding bark from a paper birch, for example, will be suitable for a tray as it'd be too light and probably puncture?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
One of those things Thoaken.

The best log to lift it off of is one which has fallen recently, preferably in the spring.

I'll keep my eye out for you and if I see some that's suitable for your project I'll collect.

It may not harm the tree but I've seen where people have done this many a time and I can assure you it will leave hideous scarring.

So best not to do this unless you own the woods and you don't care about scarring trees.

Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)

The best log to lift it off of is one which has fallen recently, preferably in the spring.

I'll keep my eye out for you and if I see some that's suitable for your project I'll collect.

It may not harm the tree but I've seen where people have done this many a time and I can assure you it will leave hideous scarring.

So best not to do this unless you own the woods and you don't care about scarring trees.
One of those things, indeed, Mesquite. It sounds easier than it is to collect a suitable sheet. That's very kind. Thanks.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
One of those things, indeed, Mesquite. It sounds easier than it is to collect a suitable sheet. That's very kind. Thanks.

No trouble.

Problem you've also got is you're at the southern end of the country so the bark doesn't grow as thick as it does in Scotland and more northern climes.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales

I agree wholeheartedly with this, and hideous is the right word for it; it's an awful thing to see in the woods and shows no respect for the tree or the wider environment.

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
I took some from recently felled living birch. The trunk was about 18 inch diameter and cut into 12 to 18 inch sections. Managed to get about 10 perfectly formed A4 size sheets from it. Currently got them all in a large flowers press I bodged together at work. Just scraped it away from the wood with relative ease. Will do some pics next time I get a chance

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
ditto the dead wood.

Try a silver as compared to a common beech. A paper birch and a silver are much more alike than the common. Often mistaken in canada for the same tree. Silver birch are glittering white with whispy peelings from. As others have said, have looked for a few years ever since seeing birch bark manufacture, at the quality and size in this neck of the woods of the bark pieces. There mostly seem to be branches poking out, splits and maturing bark, not much usable on an entire tree.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE