Thanks all for the feedback, comments and suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I’ve just spent ages trying to read all the threads etc on all this, some of them have started off so very well and then just degraded, this is an example of what mods have to deal with, as it happens on all sorts of threads, I’ll talk more about that in a minute though.

Martyn and others have done a great job of trying to explain the difficulties in being a Mod on here, for which I’m grateful as the bottom line on it is that the issues raised are directed at me, I’m the one that has asked people to help out keeping things how I like them. The rules are written by me, most of them are quite generic across lots of forums, and some are just for here. The underlying thing across the whole community though is just that we have respect for one another and we’re polite, with no bad language and no smutty comments etc. I’m sure that everyone get’s the drift. Now I have quite strong feeling about it being a family friendly site and I want it so that my kids can come on here without fear of them reading smut or bad language. There’s always the difficulty that people have different opinions on what’s bad language and that’s just an example of opinion, there are hundreds, if not thousands of opinions on all sorts of things to do with the forum. Some people are moderated and they say - Fair enough, sorry about that - and for the same thing, some kick off. That’s just life and people.

I’ve read through a lot of the comments and suggestions made and I agree with some and others I think are unworkable. I and the other mods have no problem with people posting up questions, or asking for things etc It’s great that you do, I saw the thread earlier entitled ‘Where is this going part 2’ and I was reading through it thinking it was great and that I could really take on board some of the stuff in there. Then it went down hill and was closed, a huge shame in my view, but I have to say that it’s understandable.

When it comes to members not understanding why something has been done by a mod I see the points that have been raised. It’s also been explained that if we explain everything it gets really complicated and time consuming because there’s always different opinions. I do agree though that we can help things run a bit more smoothly with some more commentary and I’ll endeavour to get that in place.

Sometimes the forum flows along nicely, the mods don’t have to do much and the members enjoy the time on here, that’s the best situation for all of us and it comes about by people knowing the rules and abiding by them. If people did that, then there would be hardly any hassle on here at all. Now I’m not saying that we don’t have a role to play in that, we can help it along and that’s the role we need to play, we are here to help it flow and to keep it within the boundaries set in the rules. I think that a great deal of the issues raised can be dealt with by all of us getting on with it and working towards the same goal. I want the forum to be an enjoyable, interesting and educational place to be, for people to get out of it what they want. I as the owner of the site need feedback from you, I do get some from people, they PM me or email me and say what they’re thinking and that’s great and hugely appreciated. Some bottle it all up and then it explodes and it’s hard for it not to go down hill in that instance. I have to admit that I can be defensive about the site, I try not to, but I sometimes take things personally, but hey, I’m human as well. On the whole though I really do try to take on board what people say and I will do the same with all this.

I really don’t think that it’s all down to the moderators (which is ultimately me) or all down to the members, we’re all part of the forum and I think that it will take us all to work at it to make it an even better place to be. We will continue to moderate, as we do so, we will endeavour to be consistent, polite and friendly, we will address the issues that come up as best we can, given the time we have and the knowledge we have. It would help no end if you all made the need for moderation a rarity by staying away from the edge created by the rules and not pushing them and by cutting some slack now and then. We’re all busy people, I should have taken my boy to a birthday party but I’m writing this instead. At lunch time my wife asked me what I was doing this afternoon, I said “I need to work…NO, I need to spend time with you, (my family, wife and 3 kids) what do you all want to do?”…..and here I’ve been since just after that.

I think that the thing we all forget sometimes is that we’re all human, we all make mistakes, we all have great days and awful days. We need to cut each other some slack and get on with it. We all need to be people helping things flow and when someone starts spinning in the water we steady them and off they go. Those that don’t want to do this will always find it a restrictive place to come and they’ll not get the most out of it and make it hard for other people to get the most out of it.

So, where do we go from here, I’d like it to be just as I’ve said above, we all get on, we all try to be tolerant, we will try to make things easier to understand when we moderate (although there’s not going to be pages of discussion about it) and everyone helps to make moderation un-needed. Sometimes things are going to happen that people don’t understand and that’s unavoidable, there’s some stuff that gets posted that get’s people banned with no explanation at all and there’s some stuff that isn’t anyone’s business. Making this a better place is doable, I’m not going to compromise the rules to make some people happier but more tact and more regard all round would work wonders.

Before I sign off I want you to know that I appreciate all the efforts you put into the community, all of you, members, subscribers, Mods, past and present members. I appreciate that people want to help the community grow and move forward, this has been shown by the plethora of comments over the last few days. Let’s make sure that we get on with taking them onboard and moving forward, there’s something in there for all of us. I’m up for a clean slate, there’s members upset by other members, members upset with mods etc…if we met each other face to face most of us would get on, we’re good people, let’s remember that.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Well said

If i may add some heartfelt words (and opinions) about what i have noticed happening on this site in the last few weeks.........

I'm still a newbie to this site only having been around a few months. The knowledge and helpfulness of the members on these forums has been invaluable to me. Some of the things here are not my cup of tea and as was mentioned or suggested i "self moderate" simply if i don't like it or am not interested i don't participate.

I consider myself a 'fringe' bushcrafter. I posses mountains of kit with little idea how to use it properly. I haven't camped out since 2002 and that was at a rock festival. I have tried on many occasions to carve a spoon only to find i can't split a log right or the spoon breaks due to some imperfection in the wood.

I found this site quite by accident, if memory serves i entered something into google to see if i could find any different kit items or information on a subject i find fascinating. I was amazed to find all these like minded people who enjoy what they do and seem to posses almost supernatural skills in my eyes, "make a knife?" i wouldn't know where to start! I've pimped my firesteel- i cant even get the end off mine! Considering the rural location of where i live by most people i know i am considered a "freak". I don't like football, nightclubs, getting drunk or getting stoned. Take a minute to consider how i felt finding a site with 100's if not 1000's of like minded people with my interest in the outdoors.

Having seemed to ramble for a couple of paragraphs my point is this. I am 33 years old, i have asthma and a 8 mile walk round Malham Cove 2 weeks ago damn near finished me off. I love what i do and would love to do more. I will never be able to afford a woodlore course to teach me practical skills. I will rely on my own skills and through information from books and this site, determination and sheer bloody mindedness i WILL carve a spoon one day, i WILL create fire by friction.

This is an important site and all of us, it's founders, moderators and members should strive to make it THE most informative, friendly and welcoming site on the internet. Don't go for the cheap shot in the forums, stand on the other side of the fence and try to see everyones point of view before making your posts. Think like a moderator and censor your own posts before you post them.

Tony and his team do a magnificent job. I highly commend what they do and how they do it. It is his vision and sheer hard work that we are all able to congregate in this place to start with.

This is a poor post to describe exactly how i feel, but i hope that you all get some idea of what i am trying to say.

Reactions: Wayne

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
:35: well said!

as said we are human we all have our own adjends's, we just need to respect BCUK for what it is a place of learning and mutual respect for the wilderness.

clean slate,? i agree, some issues are best left alone.

bury those gransfors's!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
ArkAngel said:
Take a minute to consider how i felt finding a site with 100's if not 1000's of like minded people with my interest in the outdoors.

Wow ArkAngel,
That is both humbling, and very true for the great majority of us.

Tony and the team - your doing a great job, under sometimes hideous conditions. I hope we can all help to ease your burden in the future.

Thanks

Ogri the trog

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I have been a moderator on a small forum for a couple of weeks , it is nothing like this one we have less than 50 members , and it is purely a spam fest with crude jokes and leg pulling thrown in . Even in limited time online we have had a lot of stuff to sort out , and its ongoing ! I can only begin to imagine what a task the day to day running of this site must be !!!
I enjoy this site , and am greatfull for the oppertunitys it has given me , from group buys , too good friends to sit and have a yarn round the fire with . I have learnt a lot from the wealth of information that the members here have given . Bushcraft is such a vast subject , it covers a multitude of other subjects . I think even the likes of Morrs himself , is still learning . So how can i hope to learn it all ?
Easy , i come on here and i have a resorce 100 times bigger than any book (however well writen) . All i need to do is find a way to pack it in my rucksack so i can use it on the move !!!!
Pumbaa

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Tony

Thank you the note and in particular the content. I fully support.

Misunderstandings and arguments take at least two parties - even if one doesnt realise their role! :D

Think there is an extention of the e-mail syndrome at work here - without the face to face cues/ body language/ vocal inflection etc, interpretation of what is being said can get confused. There is a little perversity in that many of the 'off the rails' threads start with normal plain wording - where risk of interpretation first comes in - only to end in clear unequivocal language of the wrong type! At which point everyone is clear on the message - if a bit confused how we got there. :rolleyes:

It has been noted elsewhere by others - this place is a meeting point for like minded people - thats like minded, not clones. We are all individuals - nature of the topic kinda filters us on that front - but with at least a passing common interest; regardless of perspective. Here is the place for the commonality ( not cloning ) - within that we can debate, learn, argue, disagree even - but none of that needs vitriol.

Rambling - my trade mark! - guess comes down to remembering we are all different, may not agree with each other but have some shared interest. At times of stress, choose to defuse to stand back. Five deep breaths do wonders.

Will now ruin a very funny joke - heard it years ago from an american comic - Eno somebody - tall thin gangly bloke - was it Wilson?

' Two men meet in an Historic New England Church. They chat and discover they are both Anglicans ( insert your chosen faith here ). Yes, but I'm a follower of Bishop Brown per the chism of 1885 says the first. Incredible so am I says number two, only I follow the Chapter 12 adventist teachings on that. Incredible - I agree totally says his new friend. What about Percival Ettridges Echumenical Synodic Dictat of 1902 though? Well thats a given - the only possible view to be taken of Proverbs 4.3 of course. I cant believe I have found another follower says the first guy, this is wonderful my brother, praise the lord... hang on what do you mean 4.3, its 4.5 that is the essence of his teachings. The second springs up, grabs a candle stick and beats the first to death screaming 4.5? DIE HERETIC :p '

Not sure how, but hope that helped ;)

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Thanks Tony for taking the time to write all that. I think we all appreciate that your time, and everyones elses, is valuable so its good to see that you are willing to take the time to listen to everyone and take on baord their comments.

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
Ogri the trog said:
Wow ArkAngel,
That is both humbling, and very true for the great majority of us.

Tony and the team - your doing a great job, under sometimes hideous conditions. I hope we can all help to ease your burden in the future.

Thanks

Ogri the trog

Tony, keep on keeping on. Its a great site to learn, and although I may only be a
intermittent contributer, really look forward to the little items I can pick up here.
I am probably amongst the older members here, and found it difficult at first to understand the mindset. When it finally clicked that quite a few of the members here are probably under the age of 20yrs, it made me think more about the way I express myself.... the same is true for BB and Survival Index.
More power to you son.... :You_Rock_

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Cairodel said:
I am probably amongst the older members here, and found it difficult at first to understand the mindset. When it finally clicked that quite a few of the members here are probably under the age of 20yrs, it made me think more about the way I express myself.... _

You see, this is the trouble with young kids,
They go gadding off to far-flung places, with their i-pods and Landrovers, when what they really need is a few years National Service!

Write out 100 times, " I will be more considerate in future"
By tomorrow morning!
And clean those fingernails! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

rgds
Ceeg

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Very well said Tony!

I think it's very important to remember that we're all human, we all make mistakes, we all have off days, and we all have feelings. That goes for life in general, but it's doubly important in an online environment, where it can be easy to react to people in a way you (hopefully) never would if you were face-to-face.

Much as I hate to use football as an analogy, modding decisions are kinda like the decisions of a referee. You may not like the call, but at the end of the day you can either accept it gracefuly and get on with the game, or stand there arguing with the ref until you get carded. Yes, the ref may get it wrong from time to time, but it's better that than chaos.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE