Thailand versus Borneo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I have been looking at the Bushcraft Expeditions list, and have decided Jungle is the best environment Previously, due to cost, I have been looking at the Thailand course. However I am wondering if the extra £600 to go to Borneo is justified. Basically I am asking what is the difference in the environment between the jungles of Thailand and the jungles of Borneo.

If anybody has had any experience of these particular courses, or can recommend a different expedition to the jungle, that would be great.

Cheers

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I imagine the extra cost will be down to all the internal flights through Borneo, atleast that's what a friend of mine experienced when he went on an exped. to Borneo (not with Bushcraft Expeditions).

What about the Amazon! There may not be much of it left to explore in a few years time :(

Will reply more in later this week, due to other (time consuming) obligations (work and scuba diving).

Been to both jungles and will have some tips, calculations etc. IF for what ever silly reason I do not respond before friday, please email me or buzz me on this list or what ever.

If somebody else reacts quicker... the more info you got the better. "Bod" (iirc) on this list lives in Sarawak so he will most certainly be able to give you a lot of info on Borneo jungle stuff. Afaicr Stuart has been to Borneo too so you should get a lot of info anyhow ;-)

Off to take some zzzz's

Grtz Johan

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
For costings you need to refer to BushcraftExpeditions, of course, but as far as the jungle is concerned the difference is that Borneo is true equatorial rainforest and northern Thailand, which is where I believe the course is held is monsoonal rainforest with a dry season.

Both are mixed dipterocarp forests and many species of trees and animals are the same or similar but there are differences of course - Borneo is part of the Indonesian archipelago while Thailand is mainland Asia.

The nightlife is better in Thailand :)

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
That's great, what about the bushcraft? By this I mean how different are the skills required to trek through and work in true equatorial rainforests compared to monsoonal rainforests, and would you say Borneo rain forest is "richer" at all?

Also, in which season would Chiang Mai be in during March?

Many thanks,

Harry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE