Thai Pruning Blade?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Has anyone seen / used / heard of this Type of cutting tool, it's basically a Mini Sickle Head that fit's to a long Pole Handle for Pruning, it's a 1 piece knife with a handle like the ColdSteel Spear.
As I'm thinking of buying or having 1 made for a neighbour who need's this kind of tool.
Please let me know if you find a UK Selling or maker that could help with my search.
cheer'

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've made many socketed tools and sickles, but never a socketed sickle before. When you say 'mini', how small is your impression of mini? I made hooked blades down to less than 2" long!

There are some cool long handled tools that were used largely through the medieval period (and hundreds of years in either direction too really) around the UK and Europe. They were used for weeding and harvesting secondary crops in the fields. They might work out for you too. weeding hooks.jpg

Reactions: chas brookes

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just googled it and the look like a big handle with a flat, side blade about 4 or so inches with the back edge curving down to the blade side (is that called a sheeps foot blade??). It didn't look like a blade on a long stick. What would it offer over other, commonly found tools? Everything has a reason for its evolution, I wonder what that could be?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE