Testing my new Mora frosts 120 and 162 on a kuksa

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Recently I bought myself some Mora Frosts knives and through the gift-it-on thread I obtained a kuksa.
Now I didn't like the smooth, laqcuered and factorynew-look of the kuksa, so I thought it might be fun testing the knives and give the kuksa a more rough look. I like to personalise things, too.... :rolleyes:

The knives;
01messen.jpg

These have been baptised in blood by now.....:p

And the kuksa, befor I "took care" off it;
01mok2.jpg

The double fingeropening gave a very uncomfortable grip, so I opened the bottom one up.
01mok5.jpg

When I was done cutting of the lacquer (sanding didn't work and that should have rung a bell), I added some hot coffee afterwards and the following pictures show what happenend. The coffee came dripping and bubbling through the sides!

01mok6.jpg

01mok4.jpg

Damn, now I had to reseal the inside after all. That's why the inside is darker than the outside.
Fot good measure and because I like to adorn my gear with them, I added a moose to the front, too.

Next I added a metal ring and made a braided strap to it, so I can hang the mug from my breadbag. This way I always have easy access to it.
01mok7.jpg

01mok8.jpg

Now it's coffeetime!!

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
The more you use your Kuksa the less it will leak. It just takes time. If you use milk in your coffee then this will happen reasonably quickly. Did you sharpen you hook knife before using it. Most other mora knives come sharp enough to use, but not the hook knives, which annoys me as it is these knives that cause some bad injuries as people force a blunt knife through the wood. I think, after speaking to a mora representative that they may be looking into a redesign of these knives sometime.
By the way it is a 106 not a 120. The 120 is the shorter one. Nice woodburning by the way, I like the moose

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I used an acrylic spraycan clear semigloss paint.
Coffee and milk seal the kuksa? How? By sealing the gaps between the fibres?
I tried the hook knife, but it isn't that sharp. That's true. I'll be getting some advise shortly on how to sharpen it, though.
And the knife 's 106? It is listed as the 120, not that it realy matters. I will get the shorter one too anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE