Testing - Cegga Froes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Cegga made me a couple of froes which i have recently taken delivery of.
This was the first time Cegga had made a froe, with the only instruction from me that i wanted a fixed handle.
First impressions
Well put together and very strong looking. The eye has been punched during the forging so there is no weak point from a rolled eye or any weld the blade and eye are one. The thickness is arround 5mm and the blade 12" Long and 2" wide. The polished edge is about 5mm wide and of a slight convex nature. The handle is straight and held in be wedge and 2 circular taps the same as many axes.

In Use
The angle of the grind is a little two steep and on harder logs often bounced a few minutes on the jet will tak eit back to about 10mm just to allow a slightly shallower entry and give it more bite. Once in the wide of the blade really comed into play and the split open up to a large gap after only a short drop. The combination of the width and handle length was spot on and very little pressure was needed to lever the split along pulling and pushing to steer the split. It split thin (3mm) shingle from a peice of ceder with ease.
Over all
Bomb proof engineering youd struggle to break this even if trying. Splits really well and apart from the issue with getting the bite which are easily addressed performed excellently with logs easily spliting with minimal effort. If i was being very critical i would say the back edge of the blade could be rounded over to help minimise damage to any mallet or batten but i'm not sure that it would really make much difference. These are the first froes Cegga had made and with these minor adjustment to future models then they will really be a first class tool. Thank you Cegga
IMG_0366.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

IMG_0369.JPG

Cegga

Nomad
Dec 21, 2006
Sweden
cegga.spaces.live.com
Hi !
I am happy if they works just a little of what they shall do I have never seen one of this tool before and I did not know what they are apply for :confused:.
But now I see what you can do with them I see the use for them.I leve the edge thick and convex because i did not no with type of edge it shall have .
And I think it better to have some more steel if you wanted to grind some of :rolleyes:.
Hope they work little like you want them to do .
Thanks for the nice reviews on them :) And let me know how a froe are used :lmao:
Cegga

Last edited:

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Hi !
I am happy if they works just a little of what they shall do I have never seen one of this tool before and I did not know what they are apply for :confused:.
But now I see what you can do with them I see the use for them.I leve the edge thick and convex because i did not no with type of edge it shall have .
And I think it better to have some more steel if you wanted to grind some of :rolleyes:.
Hope they work little like you want them to do .
Thanks for the nice reviews on them :) And let me know how a froe are used :lmao:
Cegga

There a cracking bit of kit Cegga, its only minor adjustments needed and they will be faultless.
Were they hard to make?

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Very good looking tools Cegga.And Jungle re, i bet youre over the moon with them?I would be.Intresting to see them with an oval eye...all the froe's ive got have tapered round eyes.
Very satisfying tool to use.

Cegga

Nomad
Dec 21, 2006
Sweden
cegga.spaces.live.com
There a cracking bit of kit Cegga, its only minor adjustments needed and they will be faultless.
Were they hard to make?

Hi!!
Let´s work the adjustment away then:rolleyes: and No they where not so hard to make .
I use a 50mmx50mm steel to start with then I punch out one hole in one of the end´s and then I forge the blade in a 500 kg Beche´air hammer. As easy as it can be :D:cool:
Cegga

Last edited:

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
i should be able to do this tommorow hopefully, have to dust off the JET wetstone. I get some pics up once done and tested and some dimensions too

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fascinating thread - nice to see Cegga making such a traditional English tool :)

They really do look the business - might want one myself when the design is finished ;)

Good work j-r and Cegga!

Red

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi!!
If I can make two i see why not i can make more :rolleyes:
The price yes there is a problem I think as they weigth so much the cargor from Sweden to UK are not for free :( I have to look in to that :dunno:
Cegga

Well, in my case it is not quite that far (Jämtland). Conical eye by preference, it makes them easier to transport if the handle can be removed (and no need to provide the handle either, unless you are dirt cheap on that part).

Cegga

Nomad
Dec 21, 2006
Sweden
cegga.spaces.live.com
Hi!!
Did som more old tools last week I will take a better pics on them later tonight
And send in with the spec on them :cool:the two big one´s are hole forged and the small one´s a small mistake happen:( so I have to weld the handle part on but I will make new one´s that are hole forged :rolleyes:
Cegga
karvingknife.jpg

Last edited:

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
What is the optimum grind for a froe? A friend made one, but its far from ideal. Had great difficulty getting it to penetrate at all. It has quite a steep... scandi (?) sort of grind. Seems it needs to be a fair bit shallower and convex?

Lovely work by the way cegga

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Thanks !!
But I don´t do this thing to make a name on it I only try my best to do good tools :eek: As a matter of fact I hope to hold a low profile on my name .:tapedshut.
Cegga

Cegga,

The quality and beauty of your tools speak for you!
happy0034.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE