Tesco Ultra-Lite Mummy Sleeping Bag Review

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Purchased from Tesco on-line store.

Some months back someone mentioned these and I thought I would give it a try.

My first impression was ‘that’s a dam small parcel’ and it is. This bag is one of the smallest I have come across, in fact its so small applying the compression straps is almost pointless. When you get beyond the lurid orange colour (don’t look at it if you have a hangover), the build quality is good and the zipper can be opened from the inside.

I used it in a bivi bag up in the Chilterns in an exposed area with a surface breeze of about 3mph. It was a face to the stars night, no cloud cover so it was nippy at 3am. I found the bag not to restrictive, with enough ‘wiggle room’, plenty of room for my size 10 feet, with none of that toe/foot restriction/pressure feeling you get when the box area is not well made. All night long I was toasty warm and at no point experienced cold spots from the bivi bag pressing down and compressing the goose down. Even the hood was comfortable and as hoods irritate me intensely thats a great compliment!

I would say this is a very reasonable piece of summer kit, if they ever produce a heavier weight version for 4 season use I would buy it immediately. I may just buy another and put them together as a modular system for winter use.

Brand Tesco
Colour Grey and orange
Comfort Rating +3.8 - +8.3
Compression Bag Yes
Extreme Rating -10.6
Features of Product Ultra lightweight & compact mummy style sleeping bag 290T micro polyester ripstop shell with 290T polycotton lining 225g/m2 single layer goose down filling 4 way compression sack 2 way reversible zip 0.8kg
Filling Grams Per Sq Metre 225gsm single layer goose down filling
Inner Material Polycotton
Outer Material Polyester
Product Height 210 cm

Highly reccomended I would say and £35 well spent.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-7415.aspx

Sandsnakes

Attachments

• sleeping bag.jpg
    sleeping bag.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 144

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
I've read some reviews on this that mention the lining not feeling very good and the filling being rather thin in places.
I know it's cheap compared to a lot of others but what did you think ??

Also what is the smallest size you can compress it to??

I thought about buying one as a spare .

MickT

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Well I did what it said on the tin, I shook mine out and it hung up before I used it. In fact I hang up all of my bags as a method of storage, this probably makes a big difference to how the down functions in use. As to size It packs down to the size of a small loaf of Hovis without compression. Knowing that the more you compress a bag, the more you damage the down I felt that its basic very small size was good enough. But I feel it will compress enough so you only need a day sack for a weekender.

As for down dispersal, I would say that a good shake is what is required, I found the linning ok, depends what your used too i guess.

I would reccomend it as a bag. I had doubts when I first got the thing but its proved its value in use.

I've read some reviews on this that mention the lining not feeling very good and the filling being rather thin in places.
I know it's cheap compared to a lot of others but what did you think ??

Also what is the smallest size you can compress it to??

I thought about buying one as a spare .

MickT

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I have one of these too, I would just add that I find the lining to not be that comfy and in the morning I usually find myself stuck to it (but then I am a bit of a sweaty git) also I'd agree the down isn't that thick. Other than that my cat absolutely loves the bag and goes into a frenzy if I leave it out (I think due to the smell of the goose down).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE