Tesco Self-inflating mattress.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 25, 2010
uk
Hello,

Tesco have a self-inflating mattress, at the moment, for £10.

Has anyone tried them?

I've always used a foam roll-mat but have toyed with the idea of self-inflater; I've never actually tried one.

I'd normally pass Tesco items by but I inspected it and thought, ' Well, its air and foam; can it differ too much from an expensive one in terms of comfort ; Maybe its made by the same Chinese company or something.'

Anyhoo, it rolls up to the size and weight my roll mat, which is nice.

65D polyester shell. Laminated open-cell foam construction. Two way air valve. Compression straps included. Dimensions: L183 x W70 x H2.5cm. Option to further inflate manually for added firmness

Thank you.

Paradiddle

Jun 14, 2011
West Midlands
I've got the green tesco self-inflating mattress. It's good size and price. The downsides are that it's a bit heavy (around 1 kg I think but might be wrong) and perhaps thin for a self inflator. I've never had another self-inflating mattress before but I find that I have to give it a few strong puffs of air to properly inflate it.

Got mine because I discovered a bunch of online tesco vouchers I did not receive.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You do have to blow them up slightly. However do store it flat with the valve open as the foam "remembers" the way it is stored so if you leave it rolled up tight ready for the off it might not self-inflate that well so you then have to blow it up more than ever. Your breath is moist which can (perhaps) affect the insulation performance slightly. Also the cheaper mats could have cheaper foams which don't perform as well as more expensive ones. It is a good deal for the price
though heavy. Base camp use I think. Get two for extra comfort.

MrJamieM

May 31, 2011
Bromsgrove (South Birmingham)
I've got a gelert self inflating mat (5 cm) which i guess is very similar to the tesco one, probably just made to a budget. Imo if your still using an old school foam mat you really need to get a self inflating one. I find them a lot more comfy with just the tiniest amount of support from the trapped air making a world of difference. They also easily roll up smaller then a foam mat and then you can compress them even more by leaning on the mat when rolled up to push the air out and then closing the valve.
They are a little heavier then foam mats but definitely worth the weight sacrifice.
If you keep them rolled up they do take 10 or so minute to fully expand and some people do like to manually inflate them by blowing into the valve but if you give them time you dont really need to tbh.

stonecutter

Feb 23, 2008
Nth London
I have an Alpkit fat Airic: I have used it a couple of times so far and it’s great you have help to blow it up but it’s worth it.
Better than my bed at home!
I also bought a couple of cheapies from Aldi for the kids when they go to Guide camp. I tried them out indoors and they seem fine.
Better than foam imho!
Cheers Paul

Ace Rimmer

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Swindon
I have a tesco one, from some time back, to be honest, it is rubbish, too thin, no insulation or comfort, I'd spend a bit more and get something better.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
i have a karrimor mat from sports direct looks similar to this tesco one 10 pounds, you have to blow it up a bit but works good..i would try out the tesco one...atb Allan

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I've always used the foam mat, more out of habit than actually liking it.

A few months ago I got a Hi Gear inflatable mat - what a difference!!!

It takes up a bit more room when rolled and is heavier but it's worth the trade off for a comfier sleep.

I'm very careful where I sight it, clearing the ground beneath the basha or the tent with that wee bit more diligence, but I've a puncture kit with me just in case.

Liam

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You don't need to inflate it in one go :) They are so much more comfortable than the SI mats. People say how cold they are to use but if you have a good sleeping bag its not an issue, you could put some foam/cell matting on it I guess. The reason I only use a folding cot bed instead of these is the extra height of the cot makes getting to my feet easier which in turn helps my knee(s) which are shot.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
You don't need to inflate it in one go :) They are so much more comfortable than the SI mats. People say how cold they are to use but if you have a good sleeping bag its not an issue, you could put some foam/cell matting on it I guess. The reason I only use a folding cot bed instead of these is the extra height of the cot makes getting to my feet easier which in turn helps my knee(s) which are shot.

Fair points :D

Liam

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've an Alpkit and a Multimat. The Multimat needs very little extra inflation and also provides a reasonably comfortable sleep even deflated. I think the foam is better quality. The Alpkit isn't really self inflating at all IMO. Moisture in breath will eventually cause the foam to get mouldy, so the less blowing the better. I do store them rolled up though.

However the real problem with these is punctures. Just brushing a bramble or rose will find you lying on hard ground after an hour or so. I cannot for the life of me find the tiny, weeny hole in my Multimat.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
However the real problem with these is punctures. Just brushing a bramble or rose will find you lying on hard ground after an hour or so. I cannot for the life of me find the tiny, weeny hole in my Multimat.

I take it you have put it in a bath of water and squished it? ....watching for tiny bubbles to stream out.

I have no idea what a multi mat is......just saw 'hole' and thought of inner tubes for bikes (i always find the punctures in them ;) )

Mojo- (coat at the ready)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE