Tesco goosedown kip bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Improviser

Tenderfoot
I came across these in tesco the other day- Ultra lite mummy sleeping bag £34.28.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-7415.aspx

Very small packed in compression bag compared to my vango 250 nitestar-half the size & similar specs being 2-3 season but weighing 0.8kg and filled with goose down. Will take up much less room in the bergan or could be strapped to outside with much less bulk.

Seem to me ok for what it is given the price ect and it could possibly fit into my vango for a very cold dual set up. I usually always take a silk liner for that extra season even in summer if it gets nippy.
(Theres also a micro lite version polyester filled same weight at £19.99)

Anyone got one/tried them out ? Opinions welcome.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
looks pretty good, but for me I'm pretty sure you get what you pay for with down bags.......mine was £100 and my most exspensive piece of equipment by far.......but it will last me a LONG time, it's a mountain equipment classic 500..................but i'm prepared to be impressed and it aint too exspensive so give it a go and give us some feedback!!

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I came across these in tesco the other day- Ultra lite mummy sleeping bag £34.28.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-7415.aspx

Very small packed in compression bag compared to my vango 250 nitestar-half the size & similar specs being 2-3 season but weighing 0.8kg and filled with goose down. Will take up much less room in the bergan or could be strapped to outside with much less bulk.

Seem to me ok for what it is given the price ect and it could possibly fit into my vango for a very cold dual set up. I usually always take a silk liner for that extra season even in summer if it gets nippy.
(Theres also a micro lite version polyester filled same weight at £19.99)

Anyone got one/tried them out ? Opinions welcome.
My opinion can be found here It hasn't changed since this topic came up last, or even the time before that. Cheap is not always a good thing

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I looked at them and was advised by someone who tried them that they were a very tight fit.

Improviser

Tenderfoot
quote from Tadpole: 'My opinion can be found here It hasn't changed since this topic came up last, or even the time before that. Cheap is not always a good thing'

Fair point never even crossed my mind tbh iv'e never bought anything down filled b4, although to be fair IMO i bet a lot of our bushy kit synthetic and natural is not made to the most ethical standards especially if made/materials sourced from the far east.

Maybe i'll look at micro-lite synthetic version (£19.99) then again maybe not :sigh:
or an army surplus bag then i can be conscious free & blame the m.o.d for having them made in the first place :)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Without buying one & getting out in it yourself its very hard to tell if a bag is suitable for you.
But generally like everyone else has said, you get what you pay for. But saying that my army arctic doss bag (although bulkier) is more robust and equally as warm as most of the big brand names and it only cost me £25!
I bought a goose down bag from Millets for a similar price and it was pants!

Just found one on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ULTRALITE-MUM...kparms=72%3A1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It's not just the down you have to worry about... You'd be hard pushed to buy the fabric at that price (OK, I exaggerate a little), so you have to wonder how much the people making them are getting paid - or indeed, if they're getting paid at all. When you see absurdly cheap items like this, chances are they're the product of sweatshops.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
When you see absurdly cheap items like this, chances are they're the product of sweatshops.

In countries where the cost of living are a fraction of ours, labour can be much cheaper. Plus, automation can really reduce costs.

If people are really underpaid, it is for them to sort it for themselves by getting organised and unionising.

Boycotting a country just hurts the poor people of that country - not the rich.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
In countries where the cost of living are a fraction of ours, labour can be much cheaper. Plus, automation can really reduce costs.

If people are really underpaid, it is for them to sort it for themselves by getting organised and unionising.

Boycotting a country just hurts the poor people of that country - not the rich.

Shut down the sweat shops, lets put all the kids back into street prostitution, great idea;) Harry does have a valid point.

£29.50 delivered Grade One, and they stock the 'Long' version for us taller types if you ask them when you check out at paypal :)

eBay 300304115500

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE