Terry Pratchett.......love him or.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I could not pick a favourite at all. I love them all. I do have a liking for the guards and a real soft spot for good old sam vimes......then I do like nanny ogg.......not forgetting the ultimate bushcraft accessory.......LUGGAGE :D Gotta love them all.
I have just finished Nation and I dont think its up to his usual standard but then again it was written during the period he found out he has dementia. So it was hardly going to be full of laughs. Saying that I did enjoy it and fully expect it to get better with each reading. I will return to it again in 12 months as I always have at least one of his books on the go.

Greg

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Terry Pratchett is THE man. I have read almost all his books and even got a signed hardback of one, the title escapes me though. He takes me to another place away from the real world, it like buahcraft really. Hail Terry.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
i like most of his stuff, wee free men especially. if you've ever had to look after sheep you'd like this book. whats happenning to him though? I've had my head in bubble recently because i've moved house...

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
My faves are Jingo and Small Gods.

Jingo punctures the nonsense of "patriotism" and the daft notion of "national pride", and resonates just as much now (the "war" on terror) as it did when it was published (in the heat of the first Iraq war).

Small Gods shows that dogmatism (of any stripe, religious or political) will always lose to an open mind and a caring, courageous heart.

Apart from that, anything with the Witches or Faculty of Unseen University will have me in stitches. :)

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
two book shelves devoted to him ( wife read them as a kid ) so when i add my shoulder rebuilt i purchased and read alll of the back catolouge then every new one since then fav character as got to be death and his lovely daughter!!

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Any book with Captain Sam Vimes in has to be my favourites. I have spent many years walking dark and empty streets on permanent nightshift reading the books on refs.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I loved the city watch series and am enjoying both the Moist Von Lipwig ones and the young witch series. Not so keen on anything involving Rincewind - they don't have the same satirical punch for me.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Not an author i have ever read to be honest.

Could someone tell me just how many Pratchett books there are?

I seem to think it's the massive amount of reading and keeping the order that put me off.

Favourite? Tough call. Probably the last one I read :).

Incidentally the last one I read was Night Watch and the one before that was Monstrous Regiment.

Here's what I think is so brilliant about Pratchett - he writes for both kids and adults at the same time. One day the kids, who are enjoying the stories now, will re-read or remember the books and think "Aha! Now I understand!". Of course many of them may well understand right now.

His books are a great mixture of a study on the nature of humans, philosophy, politics and so on. There is also an acute sense of timing in many of his books. "Making Money" for example, I don't think was a co-incidence. For quite some time there has been a significant undercurrent of people who have been waking up to the fraudulent nature of our money system. Books like "The Mystery of Banking" by Murray N Rothbard have been in the public domain for at least the past 15 years.

Genuinely hard to pick a favourite.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
Discworld novels make me smile all the way through the book and more often than not I will laugh out loud while reading.

I have learned to ignore strangers thinking I am a bit odd, reading books with cartoon characters on the cover, at, 37 years of age !!!

I will miss not having any more news from Discworld.

Terry Pratchett :You_Rock_

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I wish I could get the pleasure you all get from him, but I really, really don't like his work - my loss I guess :(

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Just finished Hatfull of Sky - I didn't even realise his Tiffany stories were aimed at Kids till my niece pointed it out.
They are certainly no poorer for it.

Maurice and his educated rodents is brilliant (another supposedly aimed at a younger age group).

I'd like to think I could aspire to Esme Weatherwax when I'm old.:eek: I love all the witches books.

His book carry so many references to phillosophy, history, science, folk lore etc, that you can re-read them at any stage and get something new. His observations on society are brilliant and not always particularly comfortable.

I've been fortunate enough to be at a couple of events that Terry has been at and he does just radiate this aura of intelligence and wit.

I'll be very sorry when he does stop writing.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Could someone tell me just how many Pratchett books there are?

I seem to think it's the massive amount of reading and keeping the order that put me off.

1. The Colour of Magic 1983
2. The Light Fantastic 1986
3. Equal Rites 1987
4. Mort 1987
5. Sourcery 1988
6. Wyrd Sisters 1988
7. Pyramids 1989
8. Guards! Guards! 1989
9. Faust Eric 1990
10. Moving Pictures 1990
11. Reaper Man 1991 Death,
12. Witches Abroad 1991
13. Small Gods 1992
14. Lords and Ladies 1992
15. Men at Arms 1993
16. Soul Music 1994
17. Interesting Times 1994
18. Maskerade 1995
19. Feet of Clay 1996
20. Hogfather 1996
21. Jingo 1997
22. The Last Continent 1998
23. Carpe Jugulum 1998 The Witches Vampires, existentialism
24. The Fifth Elephant 1999
25. The Truth 2000
26. Thief of Time 2001
27. The Last Hero 2001
28. The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents 2001
29. Night Watch 2002
30. The Wee Free Men 2003
31. Monstrous Regiment 2003
32. A Hat Full of Sky 2004
33. Going Postal 2004
34. Thud! 2005
35. Wintersmith 2006
36. Making Money 2007

I think that's just about all of them apart from his science of discworld books, mapps of discworld etc etc.

What did folks think of the television adaptations of The Hogfather and The Colour Of Magic?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
My favourite books have to be the ones with Esme Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg. They are absolutely wonderful characters. The least favourite book has to be Small Gods. I don't know why but I couldn't get into this one and I still haven't finished it.
Dementia is an evil illness and I hope it will take a long time before he finally stops writing.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just finished Hatfull of Sky - I didn't even realise his Tiffany stories were aimed at Kids till my niece pointed it out.
They are certainly no poorer for it.

I love Hatful of Sky - I found his emotion of the land that I live on (the chalk downs) touched me deeply. We do have "ships" and chalkand, rabbits and indeed I regularly sit beside (though never on) a bronze age wind swept barrow. The shepherds huts on wheels are still here too - I promise you a guided tour if you are ever in the area Silvergirl.

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE