Terava Jaakarripuukko 110

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
Hi Guys does anybody have any experience with these knives I have just ordered one and was wondering if anybody has used them.
I have looked at several you tube videos and they all seem pretty positive, but unfortunately you never know how much the review is being influenced:)
Many thanks in advance.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I have the 140mm version, with a leather sheath, and it is very much as advertised. It reaches a good price/performance point, and is well worth the money.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have both the 110 and 140. For me, the 4mm thickness of the blades is better suited to the slightly larger knife. The 110 is quite a beast, it'll not break and will stand up to prying and twisting, but the extra length of the 140 makes it a good batoning knife and also a chopper. For closer work like carving and drilling, the 110 would be more controllable.

The 140 gives more option IMO.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I have both the 110 and 140. For me, the 4mm thickness of the blades is better suited to the slightly larger knife. The 110 is quite a beast, it'll not break and will stand up to prying and twisting, but the extra length of the 140 makes it a good batoning knife and also a chopper. For closer work like carving and drilling, the 110 would be more controllable.

The 140 gives more option IMO.

Having both is just greedy I reckon Rich :D :cool:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Having both is just greedy I reckon Rich :D :cool:

Well, yeah :p. But, thing is I've sold off a lot of drawer dweller type knives for something that's cheap and very well designed. The Terava knives are built for use, establish the usage and pick your knife. I really wouldn't be doing it with Chris Reeves etc, but with these it's easy and not too pricy. They really do work.

I have the Skrama and two mini Skrama too. The minis will make lovely edcs in a simple kydex sheath once handled.

Last edited:

Spearhead

Dec 16, 2014
Italia
I have one 110 stainless and two 140 carbon. they're my favorite woods / camp knives, very sturdy and comfortable to use, and they cut like a laser. the carbon version (80CrV2) is a better choice if you don't bother it isn't stainless. I usually take the 140 as a "one-tool" option when I don't carry other cutting tools with me.

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
I'm a massive fan of the Skrama. I've been waiting for new stock of the Puukkos and think I'll buy a few, all sizes. Was hoping for some brown sheaths but not holding my breath.
Thing is that for the price and their overall build and design they are a bargain. A real work knife that you really don't worry about getting stuck into any job. Feel great, ouber sharp, stay sharp, and easy to sharpen.
Fancier knives there is always a reluctance to give them some welly. Reluctance to smash into a rock or stone. Just pampering, because they look nice and cost so much. Not so with the Terava, just dig in, get on with it.
Quite a freedom that more expensive knives just don't give.

2016, with the Skrama getting some air time, then Terava range has got some momentum. In the UK and USA. They keep selling out because of it. Batches are 250 or so and have to fit into the rest of the knives built in the factory. Should all be back in stock this quarter when I hope to get my order in. Think I will have to be fast as there is quite a build up of those waiting. These have now caught the Bushcraft fraternity's imagination and been given the thumbs up. Some of that is because the higher end Moras offerings were a bit steeply priced, as are a whole lot of other knives offered.
Heck, even as a spare knife, or one to lend out, there really isn't much reason not to get one.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
The mini pukko and mini Skrama both look like excellent project knives. What gauge steel are the mini pukkos made from? It doesn't say on the spec list.

Varusteleka's knives are really starting to gain fans it seems. Me included. :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The mini pukko and mini Skrama both look like excellent project knives. What gauge steel are the mini pukkos made from? It doesn't say on the spec list.

Varusteleka's knives are really starting to gain fans it seems. Me included. :)

Calipers need a new battery. Thinner, I'd guess 3mm.

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
My knife arrived this morning :)and on initial inspection I am very impressed it is hair popping sharp out of the box and I cant wait to get some dirt time with it to put it through its paces.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
My knife arrived this morning :)and on initial inspection I am very impressed it is hair popping sharp out of the box and I cant wait to get some dirt time with it to put it through its paces.

Good aren't they? No messing about, and just look at you like they want to be used. :)

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
Just bought and arrived the 140 with leather sheath. £50 odd quid well spent. OK almost 2/5ths the price is the sheath but as sheaths go its great too.
You can see how the knife has been made to get the price. Shaped and sharpened bar with a rubber moulded grip injected on. Its a great choice of steel and the heat treatment compliments its intended use. All very sensible, 100% practical grip, so I have no problem with any of it at all.

That rubber grip is sooo nice in the cold. Works in the sun too.

As a thick stock knife it battons, and produces feather sticks and kindling with aplomb. Cuts up veggies just fine too. I'll get the 110 as its shorter and be better at the grallock, but the 140 is better for wood kindling camp work; heck cutting leeks out of the garden plot.
Everyone should get one. Have your fancier knives but have one of these too. If you are starting out in Bushcraft buy one and get on with learning the ropes. Buy something sexier some other time. But I have sexier knives and just want to grab one of these. One knife I wouldn't mind cutting turf with. They are made to get stuck in, no holds barred.

The steel takes a "hell" sharp edge. That edge holds up extremely well and for a very long time. Hit a rock and it can take some damage but getting it back really isn't difficult; I just use a DMT Diafold. Some of my high end knives when they do take damage take an age to full sharpen and fix. For the money you don't have to worry about how perfect your sharpening is, and if you do lose a bit of steel in getting it there then so what? As it is you have to do some really nasty work first to take the edge off, a lot of nasty work. In truth you don't have to worry about anything much other than get on and use it.

Design wise they make good field and bushcraft knife, and the sheaths are excellent too. Really no excuse not to get one, even if it ends up as a spare, in the tool box, hanging in the tractor cab, one to share with others who know nothing about knives.

I'm a fan, massive fan of the Skrama too from the same stable. All are honest practical work tools. Sure there are other designs that do other things, but for an agricultural work tool these are hard to beat. I have one over a Mora any time.

Last edited:

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have the Skrama, the 110 and the mini skrama (project to be done) excellent knives for the price. The 110 is one of the best scandi knives I have used along with my Rob Evans bushtool, a lot better than my woodlore, it handles all the jobs I throw at it. I have been testing mine over a year and still going strong. The Skrama is the best large leuku style knife I used. The only other big knife I now use is my Dave Budd large recurve. The Terava knives are well made and will take a beating for the price and in use IMO.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE