Tents for DofE expeditions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

huddie

May 7, 2012
Lurgan, Northern Ireland
Hey all
Wondering if anyone helps out with DofE / scouts / other youth organisation and what tents you use?
We use Banshee 300s but the recent generations of this tent have decreased in quality.
Anyone got any recommendations?
Ta, Hud

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
We use Vango Tempests and have a mixture of 200 and 300. Big enough for 2 or 3 kids and exped kit, but they can always use a bin bag to put the bag in if the porch isn’t big enough.
The District Explorers have OEX tents, which have a very handy second bag, so when you split the tent between the kids, they can put each half in a bag.
Ours are fairly old though so don’t know what the current quality is.
The last major exped out kids did we used hammocks though, but we knew the sites being used and that they had trees they could hang in.

Sent using Tapatalk

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
German Boy Scouts usually use the cotton tent TORTUGA KOHTE.

It exists in two sizes, 4 to 6 and 4 to 8 persons.
You can ignite a well sized camp fire in it.

The stuff isn't idiot proof but in my opinion the best group tent construction that exists.

I highly recommend to choose the most usual version S20 with 4 equal tent sheets for 4 persons or 2 adults and 4 children.

With 6 of such tent sheets and 12 square tent sheets you can construct a yurt. In it can sit up to 30 persons. Here you can also ignite an even larger fire inside of course.
This video shows another one but it gives you an impression what you get with 6 + 12 classical sheets.

-----------------------------------------------------------
The in my opinion by far the best option is the larger Tortuga Wanderkohte because here fit up to 8 adults in, but it can be carried well together with the usual other luggage by 4 persons.

One can construct out of each single tent sheet a 2 person tent with open entrance.

Out of this material you can NOT construct a yurt.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The system is nearly 100 years old and there is a lot of stuff developed, which you can not understand if you didn't grow up in it, just by reading and watching videos.

If you have questions, so ask me!

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Splittiing tents is best. Up here it's a shelter from wet weather and a 2-3 tempest can be a huddle for four at night pre bed time. If in June it's dark so late and midges can be out so a good option. That's for canoe or MTBs with trailers.

Walking I would go smaller but a tarp between a group is good even if just between tents.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE