Tents, care and feeding of...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I recently picked up an ex-army A-Frame tent off E-Bay.
It's one of the old issue of what used to be refferred to as the "mountain" or "Arctic" tent, albeit with the more modern aluminium poles. Although who would have pulled it up a mountain I don't know.

Anyway, it's made of...something, dunno what so for want of a better word I'll call it canvas. It seems much the same as my Lanny lilt. Not to put to fine a point on it, it's minging, like dirty. What's your recommended method for cleaning something that wouldn't fit in an industrial washing machine?

Also what's the recommendation for proofing gunk?

I'm also interested in any suggestions on somewhere I could get a groundsheet made up to the proper size and with laces or eyelets to match the tent. Custom job in other words. A groundsheet that doesn't fit properly is vaguely more annoying than no groundsheet IMHO.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
If it's too big, or too fragile, for a washing machine then I default to the big bucket of soap approach. Only use pure soap, though, and even then make it fairly dilute. You don't want to get any detergent near waterproofing, and be sure to sluice it thoroughly with clean water afterwards. A soft brush or a sponge should enable you to do a pretty good cleaning job. Reproof with one of the many products available at Ye Olde hiking shoppes, such as Nikwax. You'd be best of finding out if it's synthetic or natural fibre canvas, though, to be sure you're using a product that will stick properly. For a slightly non-scientific method of doing that, take a loose fibre from a seam or hem and see if melts or burns in a flame. Cotton won't melt.

Ideally you want a full day of good weather, preferably without too much direct sun, for reproofing, so that you can keep the canvas nicely pitched tight when you proof it and let it dry naturally. Spray or paint on the reproofing, according to manufacturer's instructions. You can always make your own reproofing solution, but to be honest the old recipes tend to include lovely chemicals like alum and sugar of lead which personally I wouldn't recommend handling.

Can't suggest a particular company for your groundsheet needs, but if you do the measurements and draw up a custom pattern then a sailmaker should be able to run something up for you. It used to be easy to ask at a family camping shop, since in the past they did a lot of work customising awnings and frame tents, but it's not such common work anymore.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Nick there is a guy who could make you a ground sheet in the little industrial estate beside the Connswater shopping centre.
His name is Bertie Gaw.
He makes all kinds of signs ,covers etc and repairs tents and sails - and he's not hard to pay.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Thompsons Waterseal is the gear you want for proofing canvas. I used it on my old Landie tilt, only needed one coat a year and it never leaked. IIRC I paid a tenner for a gallon can from B&Q.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
394_9433_1.jpg

394_9434_1.jpg

:biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE