tentipi stove and venting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 31, 2015
southampton
Hi

I have an original Arrun tentipi 7 which I have had for well over 10 years and I am considering getting a frontier stove for it.

I am concerned about the ventilation as the newer models appear to have built in vents in the sides?

My thoughts were to carry an additional plastic tube/drain pipe and poke outside tent and position in the vacinity of the woodburner to draw oxygen/air and prevent smoking the tent out or poisoning anyone inside,

Anyone have any experience of this.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi mate and welcome.
if memory serves, the older ten tipi's, apart from the varrie, just had the facility to pin up the valance around the base, depending on the wind direction.
so using a wood stove should be no problem. if you're worried, you can always leave the door open adjar at the base.
hope this helps

Baggins

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
In my experience the stove will cause air to be sucked in strongly - it's just a question of controlling where. The edges just aren't tightly sealed enough to resist. All the fumes go out the chimney once its drawing properly.

I like the idea of a pipe to let the air in without creating a draught across the tipi, but I think it would need to be quite wide diameter to ensure the air took this as the path of least resistance.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
My take on this is that it's a lot cheaper, more effective, and safer to spend the money that you'd spend on a wood burner on insulation for your body instead.

You don't have to worry about carbon monoxide if all you've bought is an extra sleeping bag.

I routinely wake up with ice all over my sleeping bag, but I'm never cold. In fact - and some of you may think I'm a bit strange here - I actually LOVE waking up with ice on my sleeping bag!

Not that I have any objection to wood burners, in fact I'm sitting next to one right now and it's toasty warm in here, but even though there's a CO detector in here, and I've never heard a peep from it except when I test it, I still let the stove go out at night.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Can't you attach a chimney to the frontier stove and get a collar to up it through the tent safely?

With our wood burning stove, the majority of the heat is in the outlet pipe... the heat rises into it, and it spreads out from there.

Not sure a plastic pipe would cope with the temperatures... if you're intending using it in the vicinity of the frontier stove.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Hmmm... I was assuming he meant that he had a chimney already (it comes with one I thought?), but was going to use a second pipe at ground level to bring air in, rather than relying on air sneaking in under the tent. So the plastic pipe would carry cold air.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
It was the bit about smoke and fumes in the tent... if the chimney is attached, that'll draw it all out once its lit.

So the plastic pipe is to allow more air to the stove or to the tent? I'm confused (which isn't hard btw)

Aug 31, 2015
southampton
Hi All

Just to clarify, the stove does indeed have a chimney the plastic pipe was just for ventilation at ground level to the vacinity of woodburner.

I dont dislike the idea of frost on my sleeping bag,had many a night I can remember, including waking up only to struggle to fold up a poncho which over night had turned into a sheet of plywood with no prospect of a brew as the water in my sigg water bottle had frozen solid, but wife and kids might not buy into that idea!! and in all truth I might be turning a little soft, not that I would admit to it though......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE