Tent Stoves

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Not to hijack the polish tent thread, I've started this.

Following on from last nights attempt to stop the canvas getting too hot and not having a spare steel container handy (that the wife wouldn't miss) like ADDO did, the question that sprung to mind was:

How do stoves purposely made for tents deal with this issue?

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Tipi tent stoves have a baffle round the flue where it passes through the canvas. The baffle is a cylinder about 18 ins long an is held in place with screws or fins about 2 inches away from the flue itself

NS

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the Polish Lavvu the problem is exacerbated by the shortness of the length of chimney between the stove and the exit hole (I.E. Arm hole). Aren't most lavvu stoves designed to exit at the apex of a much taller tent, so temperature of pipe work will be much lower at that point, anyway?
I suppose with the external tripod set up for this lavvu, it may be possible to some how rig an opening at the apex, but then you wouldn't want the stove in the middle of such a small tent?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Not to hijack the polish tent thread, I've started this.

Following on from last nights attempt to stop the canvas getting too hot and not having a spare steel container handy (that the wife wouldn't miss) like ADDO did, the question that sprung to mind was:

How do stoves purposely made for tents deal with this issue?

Most stoves come with a flue kit to insulate the tent from hot pipes, modern ones often use silicon sheet these days.

Considering how small these tents are a stove / heater seems overkill IMHO

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
This is a stove I've made myself following another thread by Pubb, following his photo's. It's made from a 5 litre tin and the chimney is 6 normal sized tin cans. The idea being that it all fits inside the stove when packed away. I'm trying to keep it simple and light and carryable on my back.

It may be overkill but it's the boys and their toys syndrome :)

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I did play last night and it seemed to work. It got that hot I needed to throw open both sides of the door seem. I had flames coming out of the chimney (six tin cans) and the canvas did get very hot but didn't burn. That was with a paint tin over the chimney pipe. MKII will involve a second tin between the chimney and the paint tin to hopefully help with the heat resistance.

I would love to post photos but I find putting them up on here problematic for my technophobe brain. I'll try again next weekend as I plan on spending friday night in it again.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Make sure you guys have got some sort of ventilation, before you know carbon monoxide builts up and we end up having a few lesser members ... ;) Every year people die using (in their mind) perfectly OK stoves / heaters - that in the end didn't seem to work properly. Though my advice probably isn't needed as you all know what you're doing.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Has anybody had a go at using a stove with at tarp? Don't laugh quite yet ..............

What I was thinking about was putting an 'extension' tarp over the ridge line - with a hole for a chimney - and closing the ends of the tarp with triangular pieces.

The end result would be:
• a triangular tent shape but with a hammock inside.
• the end pieces would help to retain the heat but not be so close fitting as to allow build up of carbon monoxide
• the ‘extension’ tarp would mean that any heat damage would not ruin a complete tarp

I started thinking about this after one night spent out recently where I had loads of condensation on the underside of the tarp and didn’t think it boded well for a few days out when it was cold – and I don’t want to stop staying out for the winter.

I usually find that any idea I have, someone else has already thought of it and done better (or concluded it just won’t work) – so any comments?

Last edited:

UKdave

Forager
Mar 9, 2006
Ontario, Canada
As to the pipe passing through the canvass I`ve seen plumbers soldering sheets used they use it when sweating pipes so the wall behind doesnt set on fire!! they have them in Screwfix for about 3quid each at the moment

scubapauly

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2009
Hertfordshire
scubapauly.zenfolio.com
OK so I'm not the best at crafts and DIY but I had a go at the Heineken keg stove today

IMAG0063.jpg

It fired up well, got bloody hot :)

I'm having real trouble understanding how to improvise the chimney though. Also how to attach the chimney to the stove. Hopefully I can get some more kegs to practice on.

pwb

I'm having real trouble understanding how to improvise the chimney though. Also how to attach the chimney to the stove. Hopefully I can get some more kegs to practice on.

Looks pretty good and fun to make as well :).
I also had ago at making a wood burner out of a Heineken keg after being inspired by Tinny's 'Minibulldesign' videos on You-Tube.

How I fitted a chimney was to make a stub out of an old can pushing it through a hole in the keg from the inside riveting in place using tabs cut along it's length , hope that makes sense :rolleyes:.

DSC012292Small.jpg

Here's one fitted to an old gallon tin stove.

DSC01410.jpg

As for a chimney, you could crimp one end of a tin and fit it inside another and fix in place with three pop rivets.

Hope this is of some use.

Cheers,
Pete.

scubapauly

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2009
Hertfordshire
scubapauly.zenfolio.com
Looks pretty good and fun to make as well :).
I also had ago at making a wood burner out of a Heineken keg after being inspired by Tinny's 'Minibulldesign' videos on You-Tube.

How I fitted a chimney was to make a stub out of an old can pushing it through a hole in the keg from the inside riveting in place using tabs cut along it's length , hope that makes sense :rolleyes:.

DSC012292Small.jpg

Here's one fitted to an old gallon tin stove.

DSC01410.jpg

As for a chimney, you could crimp one end of a tin and fit it inside another and fix in place with three pop rivets.

Hope this is of some use.

Cheers,
Pete.

Thats the sort of thing I was struggling with. Hopefully I can find some more kegs to play with :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE