tent Stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
HI,
I've been researching tents on this site for a while :) and I've decided on a tentipi varrie 7 canvas. I'm still wondering if it's worth getting a stove - we went camping in the lake district last november,and it was minus 6 according to the car!!!

Has anyone had experiance of the German CampfireStove (http://www.campfirestove.de/) or Albion Canvas co (http://www.albioncanvas.co.uk/index.php?product_id=13058&option=Prod_detail&image_id=37628)..

The last one does appeal as it's made of recycled material...

Tks.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
dave k said:
HI,
I've been researching tents on this site for a while :) and I've decided on a tentipi varrie 7 canvas. I'm still wondering if it's worth getting a stove - we went camping in the lake district last november,and it was minus 6 according to the car!!!

Has anyone had experiance of the German CampfireStove (http://www.campfirestove.de/) or Albion Canvas co (http://www.albioncanvas.co.uk/index.php?product_id=13058&option=Prod_detail&image_id=37628)..

The last one does appeal as it's made of recycled material...

Tks.

Nice link. I'm interested myself.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
I've met the guy that makes the stoves for Albion Canvas, and his work is very good quality. They're not light-weight though, so only good for car-camping. The german campfire stove looks very interesting indeed, and very flexible.

Are you just wanting it for heating, or for more general cooking duties as well?

You could just opt for a firebox inside the varrie, it would be a tad cheaper and just as effective for heating.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
led said:
I've met the guy that makes the stoves for Albion Canvas, and his work is very good quality. They're not light-weight though, so only good for car-camping. The german campfire stove looks very interesting indeed, and very flexible.

Are you just wanting it for heating, or for more general cooking duties as well?

You could just opt for a firebox inside the varrie, it would be a tad cheaper and just as effective for heating.

Yeah, I did look at the firebox, but I mainly want the heater for night-time (I'll be in the pub the rest of the time I think!) so I don't trust an open fire, it really has to be a stove.

I'm gonna use this as a car basecamp kind of setup, so I'm not too worried about weight.. The recycled canister does look good, and since it's quite thick it should hold the heat well.

And if I can cook me bacon on the stove for breakfast,all the better :)

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
The other alternative if you fancy a bit of a project is to make your own out of an old gas bottle. I did that for my varrie. BTW, Outdoorcode does the Venor stoves, it might be worth having a chat with him.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
led said:
The other alternative if you fancy a bit of a project is to make your own out of an old gas bottle. I did that for my varrie. BTW, Outdoorcode does the Venor stoves, it might be worth having a chat with him.

Hmmm - after cutting my thumb to the bone on my first spoon, I think I'll stay away from mig welders and blow torches for a bit more :)

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi Folks,

The gas bottle stoves are great...Ask British Red about mine...

Here is one that I made last year...

LS

LS

That's marvelous!! :You_Rock_

Can you explain a bit?
I think I see an air inlet at the lower left side? What made of?
How did you fit the pipe? Welding?
s the door sealed in some way?

Somebody just dumped an old gas bottle a bit further in my street, the scoundrel... :lmao:

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Ketchup said:
That's marvelous!! :You_Rock_

Can you explain a bit?
I think I see an air inlet at the lower left side? What made of?
How did you fit the pipe? Welding?
s the door sealed in some way?

Somebody just dumped an old gas bottle a bit further in my street, the scoundrel... :lmao:

For a full run down on how I made it you can see the process at...

http://www.ludlowsurvivors.com/stove.html and http://ludlowsurvivors.com/stove2.html

Or if the mods decide to remove this link to a non profit making web site that is of my own making just check out my profile details...

LS

antwerpman

Apr 29, 2006
belgium
I bought a campfirestove last winter. I noticed that the price has considerably increased now, but I must say that I am very satisfied with this stove. It heats very well and is very well made. Packing should be a lot handier than the gas bottle and for cooking it is possible to put 2 pots on it. I also like the solution to protect the tent canvas.

Shiver

Apr 23, 2012
Belfast
Hi there, I was looking to make myself one of these, can you tell me ...
what is the smallest chimney flue width you can get away with so that it still burns well?
Shiver

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
We have two Fourdog tent stoves, one with a 3" pipe and one with a 4". The former is light, it works, and it's cute. The latter puts out a lot more heat.

A stove makes your tent as comfortable as your living room, and no matter how humid or rainy it is, everything dries overnight.

Our tents are all canvas. Never tried a stove in a nylon tent.

IMG_3372.jpg

Mar 5, 2013
oxford
Please don't follow that method for emptying the cylinder of gas.
That is just the first part of the process.
Remove the valve(it is hard)
Fill to the brim with water to displace any remaining liquid gas and dissolve any gaseous gas leave overnight, then partialy empty before making any cuts or drilling.
When there is a small amount of gas vapour that completely fills the cylinder that is when it is at it's most dangerous.
Please do some research there is plenty of information on the net on how to do this safely but the way mentioned by wingstoo aint it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE