Tent re proofing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Good evening the collective mind that is BCUK
Last time I went family glamping the Vango Marista 6 person tent held up ok but I noticed that water was no longer beading off but pooling and sitting on the surface also some of the seams were letting water through.
My questions are what are your recommendations for re-proofing the tent which is nylon/polyester brand names spray or brush on
Also seam sealing which is taped as per manufacturing could this be treated with the silicon and white spirit mix/solution
Also some mold patches were noticed in places what's the best way of cleaning them off they are on the internal 'walls' of the tent not the outside walls.
Any and all help greatly received

Sent from somewhere?

jmagee

Forager
Aug 20, 2014
Cumbria
For waterproofing we bought and used a nikwax tent and gear proof which came in a spray bottle.

For mould I believe white vinegar is good although never tried it, suspect I'll need to next time the tent comes out though.

Silicon on the seals sounds good

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
If it's pooling it's the way it's pitched, no proofer will stop it. If the material is absorbing water like silnylon, any of the tent proofers should do. Then there's hydrophobic coatings and other things like thomsons waterseal.

jambo2kuk

Jun 15, 2015
United Kingdom
My 4 Yo pu tarp started dripping at points. 5 litres of fabsil gold later and it back like new. Just paint it on with a brush and works a charm. Took about 4 litres for a 3m x 4.5m tarp.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE