Tent Pegs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Right then.
So, tent pegs.
Which give the better 'grip' in the ground?
My instincts tell me it's probably the V-shaped ones (larger surface area in contact the mud giving more purchase).
Or could it be the spiral ones?
For sake of completeness (and maybe as a 'control') the cheap and cheerful plain round ones.

Anyone done a test, or maybe just experience in the field?
I could do with getting some new ones and want to get the best option.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Somewhat agree with B but pften one just can't use the length because of stony ground. I think the strongest pegs I have ever tried were the old DDR surplus ones, heavy as ### though the corresponding BW ones are half the weight so more practical, Both are steel. For longer treks I would take correspondingly shaped Al ones. So I am for the V or split tube designs in windy conditions when calm it does not really matter. Snow pegs are a different story.

Reactions: Erbswurst
Right then.
So, tent pegs.
Which give the better 'grip' in the ground?
My instincts tell me it's probably the V-shaped ones (larger surface area in contact the mud giving more purchase).
Or could it be the spiral ones?
For sake of completeness (and maybe as a 'control') the cheap and cheerful plain round ones.

Anyone done a test, or maybe just experience in the field?
I could do with getting some new ones and want to get the best option.
I make my own from wood on site Wander.
Keith.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I carry for my poncho 3 only 10 g light little aluminium square pegs constructed for stony ground, which usually work well in every normal ground, especially meadows.

If I need a bigger ones, for example in sand which I avoid if I can, I carve a peg in perhaps 2 minutes.

I also use with my tent old Hilleberg V pegs which work well everywhere. Archaic stuff.

The usual round cheap steel hooks work pretty well too, but I will not carry in my rucksack a rubber hammer around to hit them in the ground. That are car camping pegs.
It's no fun to use a hatchet in this case.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have some plastic ones that are surprisingly good. I bought them to tie down my parachute at the Moot. The Moot site is on sand, and these long plastic pegs are kind of ridged to better grip in the sand. They work really well on clay too :) and on gravel/coarse soil of the foreshore.

Latterly I used the Ti pegs, but I don't think I'd buy them again, they bend and they're too blooming expensive for what they are.

I reckon that the bog standard old ones, the ones with the curved top on the round wire are probably the best of the bunch. They work, they hold, they pull out tidily when I'm clearing up and packing away.

I have some spiral ones, but apart from using them on a groundsheet, I haven't used them much.

Does anyone else find that the supposedly extra strong folded angle ones actually crumple more easily ?

The pack of pegs that comes with a pull out tool is excellent if weight's not an issue; the puller thing really does work :)

M

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
I have some plastic ones that are surprisingly good. I bought them to tie down my parachute at the Moot. The Moot site is on sand, and these long plastic pegs are kind of ridged to better grip in the sand. They work really well on clay too :) and on gravel/coarse soil of the foreshore.

Latterly I used the Ti pegs, but I don't think I'd buy them again, they bend and they're too blooming expensive for what they are.

I reckon that the bog standard old ones, the ones with the curved top on the round wire are probably the best of the bunch. They work, they hold, they pull out tidily when I'm clearing up and packing away.

I have some spiral ones, but apart from using them on a groundsheet, I haven't used them much.

Does anyone else find that the supposedly extra strong folded angle ones actually crumple more easily ?

The pack of pegs that comes with a pull out tool is excellent if weight's not an issue; the puller thing really does work :)

M

Delta Anchors without a doubt! Even in plus 40mph sustained gusts they haven’t pulled out a single mm
f9d474c564c1ba9f7f279f7319acf85d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I might look into those; Himself camps on Skye and it's decidedly breezy on the site he chooses. Deliberately so, it fair cuts down on the stealth attack midgies.

M

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
I might look into those; Himself camps on Skye and it's decidedly breezy on the site he chooses. Deliberately so, it fair cuts down on the stealth attack midgies.

M

You won’t lose a guy line with a Delta Anchor well secured into the ground that’s for sure :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I got some of these Rhino Pegs some time ago from ebay. Have never been able to find them since. They are a nylon, automotive type plastic, pretty much unbreakable, I've actually had them bend round a rock in the ground and still hold firm. + cross section so very grippy and were available in good lengths. This is the only reference I can find and it's from 2015... https://twitter.com/rhinopegs If I see them again I'll be having a bunch of 9" pegs, they are great.

CCnTinRWEAAOv1K.jpg

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
That Delta anchor makes a lot of sense on loose soils, in Lappland one would have to camp in the bogs with them.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I got some of these Rhino Pegs some time ago from ebay. Have never been able to find them since. They are a nylon, automotive type plastic, pretty much unbreakable, I've actually had them bend round a rock in the ground and still hold firm. + cross section so very grippy and were available in good lengths. This is the only reference I can find and it's from 2015... https://twitter.com/rhinopegs If I see them again I'll be having a bunch of 9" pegs, they are great.

CCnTinRWEAAOv1K.jpg

You might have a word with Russ about those; it strikes me that they're exactly the kind of thing that's used to peg down the awings and porches outside caravans...the ones that are fastened to the caravan too, I mean.

M

Reactions: Chainsaw

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE