Tent for Cycle touring

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Am pondering a tent for use when cycle touring. My stead of choice is my heavily customised Brompton, which I've kitted out for touring.

I'm looking for a tent mainly for use on traditional campsites, rather than in the wilderness (where I am probably likely to save weight and just use a bivvi bag or tarp). My requirements are:

• Light weight
  • Spacious enough for one person (noone else is mad enough to come cycle touring with me), with space for my folded up Brompton, and space to cook if it's peeing it down. Needs to also be tall enough that I can sit up inside the tent.
  • Stable enough to put up with the best of British and Western European summer weather.
  • Affordable. At a guess something in the region of £150, but am willing to go higher if there is a good reason for it
  • Fully enclosed. This is the main reason I've discounted the MLD trailstar.

So far my list of potentials are:

• Sil Mini peak II - 1.48kg - £119
  • Sil Mini peak - 1.244kg - £149
  • Hex peak - 1.215kg - £159

What others should I consider? I'm not in a hurry on this one, first trip would be next summer, so have plenty of time to ponder the options.

Cheers

Julia

Fluffydave

Jan 29, 2014
Croydon, Uk

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Thanks for the reply, it's 1kg heavier than I would like (I have a 2.8kg tent already). And the porch isn't quite big enough to fit a Brompton, and cook in.

Cheers

Julia

Fluffydave

Jan 29, 2014
Croydon, Uk
Those are fair points :) just had a look at those tents you've listed above, they look very nice for the weight. I've never tried the single pole style tents and I'm quite tempted now!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I've never used a single pole design like these either, I've been using a Vaude Hogan for the last 12 years. But it's just too heavy (2.8kg).

Hence asking for oppinions.

Julia

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe

Plenty of space, cheap, but also very heavy, at 3.03g, it's heavier than my existing tent.

Rather than carry the tent, how about these?

View attachment 31943 View attachment 31944

I've look at trailer tents like this before, but I'm not sure for the sort of touring I want to do that they would be suitable. Too heavy, too bulky on a fietspad. Thanks

Julia

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
The trouble with lightweight tents is that they are limited on inner porch space. Mainly to reduce the weight they reduce the size to suit sleeping and occaisional cooking. I can't think of many that would house a bike :(

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
The trouble with lightweight tents is that they are limited on inner porch space. Mainly to reduce the weight they reduce the size to suit sleeping and occaisional cooking. I can't think of many that would house a bike :(

The bike is a folding bike, it takes up a square about 2ft by 2ft by 10", so doesn't need much space. Hence the tents I was looking at, which have plenty of space in the porch.

Julia

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
I have walking poles, which I will either take, or just get the pole that you can get that fits any of the three.

Julia.

The optional pole actually works better than trekking poles unless you also buy a connector section. Having all three with you might weight slightly more but it allows you to use you trekking poles for day walks if set up for more that a night.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE