Tent Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 11, 2006
Lancashire
I have an Ariel Lakeland tent that I havent used in a long time. Out of interest I looked this tent up on the net and it says that its only a 2 season tent thats good for festivals and not a lot else. My friend and I want to do some more camping nothing too regualr maybe 2-3 times a year so I thought it was about time that I invested in a new tent. I like the look of tents made by Hilleberg but at £350+ they are too expensive for me.

Can anyone suggest a 2/3 man tent that will be up to the job but that wont break the bank?

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
If you can possibly stretch the budget I would absolutely suggest going for a Hilleberg. They are fabulous tents.

Failing that, a Terra Nova voyager would be an excellent choice at £240.

Dropping further down the price range I'd suggest looking at VauDe or Jack Wolfskin.

Don't forget there's always the second hand option.

Scoops

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have an Ariel Lakeland tent that I havent used in a long time. Out of interest I looked this tent up on the net and it says that its only a 2 season tent thats good for festivals and not a lot else. My friend and I want to do some more camping nothing too regualr maybe 2-3 times a year so I thought it was about time that I invested in a new tent. I like the look of tents made by Hilleberg but at £350+ they are too expensive for me.

Can anyone suggest a 2/3 man tent that will be up to the job but that wont break the bank?

If your woodland camping you don't need an expensive tent, the trees provide a lot of shelter from wind. Adding exta guylines to a tent will also help keep it stable, so the question is, what sort of camping do you see yourself doing?

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
here's a couple of links to the bay - i got a Vaude MKIII from Squidders on this site - fantastic tent - i have used it a few times since getting it, and even with me being 6'4", there was plenty of room for me and the missus on a double airbed, with room to spare down the sides. the porches are big enough for a pack, and you can cook in it at a push.
only decent small tent i've owned, but very happy with it. and it's eeeeeeasy to put up
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUDE-MARK-11...ryZ36119QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUDE-Mark-II...ryZ36119QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Aug 11, 2006
Lancashire
Will be mainly camp sites but nothing too comercial, secluded sights on farms etc. We went to Turner Hall campsite in the Duddon Valley at the weekend, it was very nice. We used my friends tent which was similar to mine, although it was warm and comfortable it did leak and was quite flimsy in the high winds and torrential rain we had on Sat night.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I think you should cautiously stick with your tent

(unless you get a chance at something fancy cheap, of course)

I read an article in the Times of people camping, they endured our somewhat bracing summer yet they had only cheap and nasty tents.

has it a good porch for storing kit?

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Tatonka makes some cheaper knock-offs of hilleberg. The alaska is very similar to Hilleberg nammatj gt but at less than half the price (but much heavier). There is enough room to cook using multifuel stoves in the abside. The 2 person version sleeps three.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Exped make excellent tents that aren't the cheapest, but definitely cheaper than the Hilleberg tents. Easy set-up, good size porches and offers great protection against wet and wind.
You can find them here.

/ Karl

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I use a VauDe Hogan (for at least 6 years now) and it has never let me down to date. It is spacious for 1 and cosy for 2. I have used a Mk2 on a few occasions and found this to be equally good with the advantage of the extra porch area.

The tent has good ventilation and i find the porch plenty big enough to cook in if the weather is bad.

As an aside it won Trail Magazine best tent for a few years running which is why i bought it in the first place!

If weight is an issue they make an ultra light version as well but I have never used one so can not offer an opinion on this!

Outdoor Action have them on offer at the moment (no connection etc BUT i have used them for many years and find them reliable!) - follow the link

http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/acatalog/VAUDE_HOGAN_TENT__2006_.html

Hope that helps!

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Wow that price is a real bargain! I have a Vaude Taurus II so can vouch for the quality of them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE