Teniya "Beach", Okinawa, Japan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broke

Mar 20, 2007
Okinawa, Japan
Wow, this place was unbelievable. As I wrote in my report on this place for my Geology class, Teniya is "...where the land resembles the divested blankets of a sleeping child on a hot night." To get the spot, you must drive forever and 1 day. Later, you have to make a right off of the main road, go through a little village near the end, and then the road will narrow. You come to a switchback, then after a hundred yards, another switchback. After that, you'll see the "beach", which is just a rocky delta. It's actually not really a beach as we're familiar with the term. Anyway, a tiny bit o' history of this place, as I understand it: Taniya is the site of an OLD trench (look up plate tectonics!) that became so clogged up with old sediment and sedimentary rock, that it basically plugged the trench up! That's no prob for tectonic action though, the plate just made another trench further away. So what we're left with is a bunch of raised, folded or twisted sedimentary rock, thanks to heat and pressure! Keep in mind when you're viewing these the processes it takes to turn an originally HORIZONTAL bed of sedimentary rock on its side, or even fold it up without breaking it in half:

Here we have a small waterfall finding its way to the sea (cameo shot by the coolest college professor I've had so far):
CIMG0674.jpg

Tilted sediment beds:
CIMG0675.jpg

A cave sitting in the middle of folded sedimentary rock. As it was explained, this cave is only 1 of 3 in the world known to be formed this way:
CIMG0679.jpg

Beautiful sample of sedimentary rock. Incidentally, I have since forgotten which direction in the picture is UP, lol. I'll just let YOU figure it out ;) :
CIMG0682.jpg

Think of this as a "leg". The other leg is on the left side of the picture, forming an "A":
CIMG0684.jpg

Another cave, this one worn into verticle beds:
CIMG0688.jpg

Just to give you a hint of the enormity of the place:
CIMG0690.jpg

I've got more, but only so much time on my hands. Hope you all like!

PS, with the abundance of bone-dry driftwood in the area, I couldn't deny my temptation to hang around until everyone left so I could start up a little campfire! Just so you know, dead, dry bamboo washed ashore burns very well! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE