Tenguproof Laptop

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, with this newfound love of archaeology Ill need something robust enough to take in the field...

..I do have an expeditionary case but its a heavy so an so..

What would you reccomend for robustness?

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Panasonic Toughbook's tend to be the tool of choice for those that work outdoors or in extreme conditions but your budget may not stretch to it, what's your budget? your requirements?

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
See if you can get an ex army one.

Thay very often have reinforced cases to be squaddie proof, and if they are squaddie proof, they will probably be Tengu proof.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Tengu, they tend to get sold off at the surplus auctions Tier 1 Online have them from time to time, But they still fetch a premium and are bloody anchent get netbook an slap a cheep SSD in it you'll be ok with that.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Right, Im afraid Im a luddite.

What is a netbook as opposed to a laptop?

What is an SSD?

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Netbook is a smaller laptop. Eg This Asus

Personally I'd go for one from here: Bigpockets . Plenty of refurbished ones to choose from for about £100

An SSD is a solid state disk - ie no moving parts in the hard drive so less to go wrong if you accidently drop it!

Snozz

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
College work, food tray, inpromtu DVD shows at the Moot...not gaming, so it doesnt have to be high spec

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Netbook is a smaller laptop. Eg This Asus

Personally I'd go for one from here: Bigpockets . Plenty of refurbished ones to choose from for about £100

An SSD is a solid state disk - ie no moving parts in the hard drive so less to go wrong if you accidently drop it!

Snozz

A cheap netbook probably makes more sense than an expensive 'indestructible' laptop, keep it in a decent case or bag, back up often and if it is broken you won't have lost too much money.

An SSD has no moving parts and uses less power however if it fails, and they do, you will lose everything that was stored on it. Whereas the info on a hard drive may be recoverable. Back up often and you will have no worries. :)

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
If you can put up with a French keyboard (always read the fine print) this one is an absolute steal at £149: Huge ebay link shortened for the reading sanity of others, yes this is a LOT shorter

Core2Duo 1.2 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, spillproof keyboard, DVD Drive (Note: you DON'T get one of those on your average netbook) crush and step resistant case, not as rugged as the ultra tough ones but still most likely Tenguproof.

Drawbacks: Vista business COA, French Keyboard

Other drawbacks: French Keyboard

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
The model I linked too I used to use a lot for work, different units but same model, had the odd wobble but nothing serious, £200 for a combo touchscreen tablet, laptop seems very good, no link to the vendor and never bought one mtself. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE