Tengu turns Saddler

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Friend wants their kit fixed.

Its a carraige harness for a shetland and charming to boot. Not high quality, the fittings are brass plated with nickel and rather worn...The leather is old and sound but some bits need fixing...Im told an exact match isnt needed.

I aim to start by giving a good clean...its been looked after but is mucky.

How would I do this? I have a big tub of Absorbine `Horsemans one step` but nothing else.

I will take some pics and show you as I go along

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Get it out on a clean flat surface, as best you can manage and scrub it gently with warm water and a softish brush; let it dry almost completely then go at it with all the elbow grease you've got, using a good saddle soap and sponges. Then you'll see what you've got and how to take it further. A used or cheap toothbrush for the buckles and hollows.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Photos please! :D
Is the leather just stiff, or brittle to?
We used to put thick, very stiff leather in a bucket of tack oil after cleaning, and leave it there for several hours, then wipe off and seal with leather grease. But if it's brittle, to much oil might make it tear when stressed.
I bought my pack saddle in a very stiff, uncared for condition, with a lot of mould, and had work it in layers to make it good to go again.

Last edited:

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Horse sweat is also a good softener before further cleaning, if its very stiff. Clean before it dries, and oil/balm/grease when still slightly damp :)

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Saddle soap, get it clean. I assume it's a breast band and not a colllar harness? Once cleaned I would look at the work that needs doing, repairs etc. Saddle stitch all straps that have worn through on the stitching. A good clean can open up the thinned stitching and plonking lots of oil/grease back on just hides any weak points.
Once you have an idea how much needs repairing or replacing. See if it's actually worth doing the work. Maltese harness is really cheap and good quality for the price. A full harness for less than £200 new delivered.

Once repaired products like Ko cho line https://www.amazon.com/Ko-Cho-Line-Leather-Dressing-Carr-Martin/dp/B002HJ4HU6

Or neatsfoot oil will put life back into the leather, soften and protect it. Followed by a good polish when dry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE