Tempering stainless carbon steel after welding ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I assume you want to stress relieve the weld? depending on the size of the weld it's not an easy process and often doesn't get done properly unless it's critical. For a carbon manganese steel you'd have to soak at above 600C and then slow cool, for stainless it's nearer 800C. You can imaging, welds carried out 'in the field' can't have controlled stress relief applied very easily.

If it's a small weld on an object you can heat fairly easily then it's probably worth doing. On a large weld, moving the heat along the weld gradually may actually add stress rather than reduce it. However, you do often see people go along a weld with a torch after; whether they are doing any good only metallurgic testing could answer.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
As broch says, but a single normaliseg (not tempering) probably won't do it as the welding really does do a number on the metallurgy and metalography of the steel.

More detail about what you plan to weld woyld be useful for any advice given. For example is it stainless or carbon?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I just did a search for "welding martensitic stainless steel because although I've welded stainless steel before it's always been austenitic with no (or near enough no) carbon in it.

Read the martensitic section as I assume its closest to what you need.

Oh and, what are you planning on welding?

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
It is a fiskars old style brush hook that i modified into a large dogsbody knife, finally the steel broke at the head, I was just wondering if welding it is possible. It is almost certainly stainless as it does not rust, always very shiny.

1586657062807202873065.jpg

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Not worth the effort. Not only would you need to go through the pre-heat and post heating for the welding (as well s the right rods preferably), but the hea treating of the blade would be knackered so would need the whole thing re hardening and tempering.

Just buy a new one

Reactions: petrochemicals
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Thaks all, i just wanted to know whether it would be woth the effort.

Only thing with the new one is they've changed the design, more curved so no chance of turning it into a big knife.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
It reminds me of one of those skrama knives, maybe look at buying one of those strwight out? Or when the lock down is done, come on a coirse and make yourself one
Ive had a look, interesting thanks, but I dont think that they look long enough really, maye if i stuck a long handle on one. I may take you up on your offer of making one, i would quite like a little hammer poll above the top handle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE